short for fuse # 1 on beretta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short for fuse # 1 on beretta

ok, about 6 months ago my ca randomly died on the side of the road, fuse # 1 was blown, i replaced it and it instently blew. maby 10 mins of checkin stuff i tried it again and its been just fine since then untill a few days ago when i got my wideband hooked up.. ran just fine for a while then randomly died, fuse # 1 was blown and im not sure how to find the short.

(the car just turns over)

here is a diagram for that fuse, how would i look for this?? i really dont wanna tear all the wiring out and trace them all.

Last edited by Alxsmt; 02-09-2008, 05:38 PM. Reason: added the diagram
    sigpic
    88 Beretta CL- 13.641@102.76mph (rwd LS1/t56 conversion in progress)

77 Celica GT- 3400/3500 swap in progress (engine from the beretta)

id check all connections on the wiring diagram that you posted up. maybe one of the connections are arcing causing fuse to blow.
    sigpic
    1992 Buick Skylark 2.3L 1996 GrandAm 3100 SFI 1996 Ford E150 Conversion 5.8L

Comment

checked everything, traced the wires in the engine bay and they seem fine.... i looked at the ones under the dash as much as possable but the wire colores are different that what it says in the book... i REALLY dont wanna tear the dash out, i can never get them back in correctly... does any1 have anymore ideas? my freind told me to test the wires for resistance, i did that and got .015 or something like that... doesnt mean anything to me
      sigpic

Comment

what car is it? i cant really read your diagram to well ill look in my books but need to know yr and car. btw does your diagram show it running to fuel pump? i had a 93 caddy that kept poppin #1 and called a dealership and they told me to put a higher amp fuse in it. fp was weak causing it to blow. did it and it worked for a while untill pumpwent out completely then changed pump put right fuse in and no more probs then i sold the car a yr later.
        sigpic

Comment

88 Beretta
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

well my books dont have any better info than yours does. but i see that fuse runs the icm so i would have it checked to see if it may be causing the short. or if there is a sensor shorting out that runs to the ecm or the instrument cluster.
            sigpic

Comment

oh so the dis is the icm? i had to extend some of those wires for the 3400 swap, maby some of those came loose or something. i will have to check those tomorrow.

and the fuel pump is 2 years old if that, and i dont put too many miles on the car (usually broken lol). i have put a paperclip in the fusebox (yeah not that smart i know) to see if it would run, it got red almost instently... but the fuel pump turned on for that half a second b4 i pulled it out

EDIT: the beretta is technically an 87(thats what the door says, but the title says 88 ) that pic i posted was out of the GM service manual for an 87..
              Last edited by Alxsmt; 02-14-2008, 04:24 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

ok just spend a few hours on it... i unhooked everything that is on fuse 1. still shorts... so it has to be a wire, i would think

one thing i havnt done is unhook the wire haness from the engine bay, it has glue stuff on it and i cant really get to it.. that would tell me if its inside or in the engine bay..
                sigpic

Comment

icm- ignition control module-under coils
                  ecm-electronjc control module-under dash pass side or pass kick panel one of the 2
                  do you have aftermarket stereo? check wiring to make sure there isnt a wire shorting there because ther is a continuos power there also.
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah my stereo is acually pulled out (still hooked up) and it works...
                    sigpic

Comment

ok try this disconnect your ecm and see if fuse still blows. if it does not you may have a bad ecm or bad promcal. did you also check wires running to starter to make sure they are not shorting out? does the fuse blow as soon as you turn the key on or after you start cranking it.
                      sigpic

Comment

another thing to do is in the engine bay strip the cowel off the wiring harness and start tracing wires to make sure none of them are melted together or bare and shorting on something.
                        sigpic

Comment

ok thx guys, i found it! after the 3rd time of tracing all the wires i found a pinched wire going to the ICM

sigpic

Comment

good man it just takes a little patience to go a long way.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X