Which rings for a 3100 rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which rings for a 3100 rebuild?

Hi everyone. First time posting on the forum. Great forum, by the way!

I'm rebuilding a 3100 SFI (LG2) out of a '94 Grand Prix, and want to replace the rings while I have it apart due to high mileage. Bores look pretty good, so I just removed the ridge and honed them. I've heard that I shouldn't use moly rings without a fresh re-bore, so was planning to get cast. The problem is which rings are the correct ones for this engine? Some online catalogs show Sealed Power E478X or Perfect Circle 41473, which matches the rings that fit the GenI aluminum head 2.8L, but some others say Sealed Power E605X or Perfect Circle 41589 are the correct numbers. To make it even more confusing, Hastings seems to say their #4456 rings fit both. All of them say they are 1.5mm wide top & middle rings and 4mm wide oil rings with shallow groove, so maybe they all work?

Anyone know for sure? The price seems to be somewhat higher for the E605X and 41589 and they're not available from as many places. But I want to get the right rings. Any help you can give will be appreciated!

John

GMpartsdirect.com has perfect stock replacement rings. Last I looked they were $30/set for each piston on a 3400.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

But are the rings the same between gen 2 and 3?

$30 a piston, wow that sux, lol last time i bought rings was for a 4 cyl engine and they were $80 for all four
      Mr_Efficiency

90 Grand prix - Lawn ornament
      Black, 3.1, 5 speed
      Future holds: Striped and then scrap yard

97 Cavalier - Stock car
      Red/Black, 2.2 OHV, 5 speed, fully tubed bumper to bumper, 6 point cage with halo, fuel cell, race seat, 5 pt harness.... a race car
      Future holds: Just more trophies

New project on the way: 88 S10 reg cab, short box, 5 speed.
      Future holds: Built 2.8 hybrid, Stealthy flat black, a drop until i have no more ugly wheel gap

Comment

Thanks, but it's a 3100 (smaller bore).

I did check GMPartsdirect, but they are more expensive than any other place I can find. In fact, they're over twice the price of most, partially because they don't sell a full engine set. A full set would cost over $150 with shipping. Since GM doesn't actually make any piston rings (they buy rings from companies like Perfect Circle, Mahle, Sealed Power, etc.), I didn't see any reason to buy from them when I can get the exact same part on the aftermarket for half the price. If they were closer in price, I would probably go that way, but not at twice the price.

Anyone who has done this rebuild?

John

Comment

Working...
        X