Thank you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you

Hello guys and gals. First post here, but I have been reading everything in these forums for (IIRC) several years now.

I have a 2001 Chevrolet Impala with 190,000 miles on it and I had to (finally) replace the LIM gasket on it recently. Since I have read all of the info all of you smart people have posted on these forums, I knew to go ahead and get the FelPro metal gasket and all of the other little tricks of doing the job. I had no doubts about getting right down to business because I felt like I had already done it a hundred times! So basically, I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to those of you who post such good information and to the moderators and owners of the site.

Now, some people may think I was crazy to do the LIM job on a car with so many miles, but I take pretty good care of this car. It has had nothing but Castrol Syntec oil in it since just after it was broken-in and I'd really like to see if I can get 500,000 miles out of it. I got over 250,000 out of a Corsica so I think it can be done.

The earliest indication of a problem with the LIM on my car was the appearance of floating sludge in the coolant at about 80,000 miles. I worked over several days fishing it out of the overflow tank. I was also losing a little bit of coolant. So I did some research and found that GM recommended some of their sealant pellets be added to the coolant whenever it is changed or any time major work involving the cooling system is done to the engine. I put 2 and 2 together and figured the sludge was caused by the pellets that GM put in the coolant and it had degraded. Since I was losing some coolant, I went to the dealer and bought a card-pack of 5 sealant pellets and put them in the coolant. I stopped losing coolant, but always continued to have sludge. I wrote this off to "normal", thinking that the folks criticizing DexCool hadn't figured out the "secret" that I had.

So then, at about 189,000 miles, I did an oil change and noticed mayonaisse on the oil filler cap and loss of coolant. I figured it was the LIM problem and even though I knew it would need to be replaced at some point, I figured I'd try to put some alumninum block sealant in the coolant and that seemed to work OK for a few weeks.

I had to rev the engine a little higher than I normally do when I was merging onto a busy highway one day and the next day when I was driving to work (after about 20 miles of cruising), I got the "Low Coolant Level" light. I stopped at a truck stop and checked things out- I had Grey Poupon in on my oil cap! So I went in and bought some other cooling system sealant and water, just to get me to work and back home.

Anyway, I started looking things over and knew it was time to do it right. I took my time and disassembled everything over the course of a couple of weekends (no shop- strictly shadetree mechanicing!)

Here are a couple of pictures of what it looked like when I disassembled it (I won't IMG link them in interest of space):

After a couple of weekends delayed by howling winds and cold weather, I very carefully cleaned everything up and vacuumed out all the icky stuff, put it all back together and PRESTO!!! It started! It still had the original plugs and wires on it so I replaced them while I had it apart so I picked up a little bit of zip in the process. I did not, however, refill the cooling system with DexCool, I put the new Prestone extended life coolant that is compatible with DexCool in it and we'll see how that works out.

So here we are at project completion +6 days and about 400 miles. I have changed the oil and filter twice just to get any stuff out that shouldn't be there and last night I changed it again and put my normal high-quality filter and synthetic oil back in. I don't hesitate to call it a complete success at this point!

Some of you might not think of this as a "big" project, but for someone who was using just a very basic set of hand tools and a new torque wrench, doing this in spare time under a shadetree, it was big for me. And the feeling of success after the job is GREAT!! I love driving my Impala and look forward to many more happy miles in it.

Thanks again everyone!

Doing a job yourself is very rewarding. That engine looks NASTY inside. Kudos to you for doing your research, and for what sure does appear to be a job well done.
    \"NASCAR is an integral part of my life. A part of me died when Dale Earnhardt died.\"

1997 Olds CS 4-door S/C - 183,527 miles
    1999 Chevrolet Lumina 3100 - Wife took it at 158,340 miles
    1989 Volvo 740GL Wagon 2.3 8v - 232,050 miles

Comment

OMG!! that is nasty. Glad you got it cleaned up.
      Lots of mods cost lots of $$
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2598719/1

Comment

that looks pretty bad. i found one in the yard a few years back that looked like that
        sigpic
        99 Grand Am GT
        3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
        Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
        1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
        515 515 lift 112 lsa
        15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Yeah, it was pretty dirty but you should hear how nice and quiet it runs now. Unless you're closer than about 4 or 5 feet away you really have to listen close to hear it running. And I'm still getting 30+ mpg on the highway.

There was no coking on the head and around the valve area, just light surface residue overall. I really didn't think it was too bad for 190,000 miles, except for the coolant mess. I got some very small attachments for the wet/dry vac and "detailed" the inside of the engine.
          Last edited by 2k1Impala; 02-08-2008, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Detailed the inside of the engine...that's hilarious. Never heard it put that way before.
            \"NASCAR is an integral part of my life. A part of me died when Dale Earnhardt died.\"

1997 Olds CS 4-door S/C - 183,527 miles
            1999 Chevrolet Lumina 3100 - Wife took it at 158,340 miles
            1989 Volvo 740GL Wagon 2.3 8v - 232,050 miles

Comment

190k on the original gasket thats pretty good.

on my beretta i got rid of it had 180k when i pulled the top end and it looked like the original gasket, the thing damn near fell apart on the spots near the valley. im surprised it wasnt leaking and didnt show any signs either.

i just tore into my 3400 with 7k on it and it was like the gaskets were superglued on. i actually had to use a little effort to get the LIM off.
              sigpic
              99 Grand Am GT
              3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
              515 515 lift 112 lsa

Comment

Has anybody pulled apart a LIM with the FelPro metal gaskets that had a few miles (like 100k+) on them? I wonder how long those are going to last.

Comment

i dont think they have been out long enough for people to rack up serious miles on them.

hopefully they will last a long time. with using them you take the palstic out of the picture, which is one of the reasons they fail.
                  sigpic
                  99 Grand Am GT
                  515 515 lift 112 lsa

Comment

WOW that's bad. Hope your cam and crank bearings are ok from all that crap being in the oil. Stop leak is not a fixer and I don't even use it as a band aid. Fix it right the first time is always better! That dex cool stuff does turn to sludge good thing you got it out before it clogged up your radiator and heater core. Then you'd have even more troubles with over heating and no heat coming out your vents.

Glad you were able to pull it off ! Hope the car continues to serve you well.

I hope you used AC delco plugs and not bosch platinums. As the later does not last long before you have miss-fires.

Yes every LIMG I have seen that is plastic it fails cause the plastic moves either by warping or cracking and then the rubber seal moves with it because of that and leaks. The Felpro metal ones won't move so the seal will stay put and the seal is also thicker/wider/larger.
                    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                    Original L82 Longblock
                    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                      That dex cool stuff does turn to sludge good thing you got it out before it clogged up your radiator and heater core.
                      I've been thinking about going ahead and replacing the radiator anyway since they're so cheap. I live in the desert of West Texas and it's hot about 9 months out of the year so I want to keep it as cool as possible.

I hope you used AC delco plugs and not bosch platinums. As the later does not last long before you have miss-fires.
                      Yes sir, since the original plugs lasted 190,000 (and could have gone more) I didn't see any reason to stray from the original. That, and the fact that I had a heads-up from reading 60degreeV6.com.

Yes every LIMG I have seen that is plastic it fails cause the plastic moves either by warping or cracking and then the rubber seal moves with it because of that and leaks. The Felpro metal ones won't move so the seal will stay put and the seal is also thicker/wider/larger.
                      Both of the gaskets on this car had split apart down at the bottom of each of the coolant crossovers. I don't see how that could happen with the FelPro gaskets- if they fail, it will have to be by some other means and the only mode I could envision is deterioration from long-term exposure to oil or air/fuel mixture. If the rubber formulation is right though I would think they'll last a looooong time.

I don't need the fastest thing around but I guess I'm still a performance junkie at heart- I want things to last forever.

Comment

195,500 miles and the radiator failed. The tank on the left side of the radiator apparently has separated from the core because coolant began to leak at that point. With 3 gallons of water, I got the car home and got it disassembled. Ordered a new radiator but the one that was sent had the wrong transmission cooler line fittings so I am waiting on another one to arrive. I went ahead and replaced the water pump just for good measure.

I miss driving my '01 Impala back and forth to work, but I am having fun driving my supercharged '05 Grand Prix GTP CompG while I wait for the radiator to arrive.

Comment

I have a set of the metal gaskets in a van since January. Here is what it looked like after the plastic Felpros went bad...

And here is what that 3400 came out of:

A '99 Trans Sport. That was a tight fit pulling it out the top, lol. I did this this past winter thanks to a family that didn't think anything of where coolant could go...
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                          Originally posted by Jay Leno
                          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I was gonna say that is SERIOUS lack of attention on the engine maintenance if you let it get that bad...

That much doesn't happen during ONE oil change duration unless you blow a headgasket.

Got Lope?
                            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

yowch! I hope both those motors did not have their bearings compromised. If so, then hope for the best and that it's not severe enough. A few months ago I noticed a little bit of "jelly" under the oil cap, and when doing an oil change, the first cup or so of drained oil was milky. This was with GM's "Revised" gaskets! So I parked the car the next day and swapped out for the Dorman metal gaskets. It's been fine so far, also I used FelPro's metal gaskets on my sister's '02 GP 3100 about 20k miles ago.
                              Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
                              3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
                              Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
                              2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
                              TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Working...
                              X