exhaust side story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust side story.

12:30 pm, Saturday afternoon. My boss is up north at his cottage, and my co-worker of course is off. I'm in the shop, dirty as a fuck, drinking coffee. I have my bright stainless hoe-master muffler and cat to put on.

I took off the old stock cat first, look inside... it's partially plugged anyway. I wasn't going to replace it, but when buying the 'high-flow' muffler, I couldnt shake the logic of increasing flow farther up the line.

Let me say I am glad I did. The inside shape of the cat encourages flow much more than stock, and there is less catalyst for the EG to go through.

Had a problem mounting the muffler, so I farmered it... used a rubber exhaust hanger to isolate the body of the muff from the body of the car... still sends a vibration through the car, but no other negative effects.

When I get up around 4000 rpm, I can hear the cat, and feel the exhaust, and it's f*&%ing awsome. I am a happy camper, but now of course, I want a little more... like something other than those shity exhaust manifolds. I just wish it wasnt only the grandam they had them for.

I can only wonder how bad off my stock 200,000 mile cat is... LOL

Damn I need full 2.5".

The stock downpipe ID is horribly tiny.

For manifolds you could go with 2005 impala ones they are logs but larger diameter.

Or 3500 runner type.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

i was hoping someone would chime in with a "you could use"... so 05 impala manifolds (both) on a 97 3100 motor???

Comment

Am I mistaken that once you get past the skin most of the GM cars of one family are structurally identical? IE Grand Am, Alero.

I can see why Grand Am parts wouldn't work in say a Grand Prix. Within the same family though why not?

Comment

Yep, Grand Am, Alero, Malibu = N body. Corisca, Beretta, = L body. Grand Prix, Lumina, Impala = W body.
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Working...
          X