Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing chain

How often should a chain be replaced?

I'm not sure if the Chain was replaced when the motor was rebuilt so it either has 110,000 mi or 176,000mi.

I bought the car /w 146,000mi on it and I have no history of maintance but considering the shape of everything I'd say it was shat. The calipers bolts were cross threaded (had to replace calipers/mounting bracket,) idler was junk.

The strangest thing --- the Reservoir has a bunch of oil in it. I assume this was from when it threw a rod at 60,000mi and the engine was rebuilt. Ironically, the fluid was very clean when I flushed it. So I'm replacing the Reservoir before I put the motor back in but I'm suprised the dealership didn't at least clean the damn thing out. Granted the rod broke just shy of the extended warranty ending but that's no excuse.

What motor? You posted in the engine swap section haha.
    No idea what motor or car you have...

Either way 100k on a chain is a lot, might as well change it if you can. Replace the chain guide too. Go with OEM dealer parts for the chain, after market apparently stretches really fast...

Oil in the coolant (if red) means the trans cooler in the radiator is leaking.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

It's a 3100 from a 95' Olds Cutlass Supreme. I suppose engine swap isn't the best area. I wasn't sure. My bad.

The sludge is oil. I assume from when the connecting rod broke.

I'm assuming the dealer didn't clean the tank when they rebuilt the motor I believe in 2000 (end of the extended warranty -- previous owner.)

I've flushed the coolant twice since 2005 and it's looked new. I've never had to add coolant to the car in the 3 years I've owned it.

Thanks for the advice on the chain. I imagine I'll be replacing that before I put the motor back in. Last thing I want is to go though this song and dance just for the darn chain to break.

Comment

Replace the lower intake gasket while it's out of the car if it needs it as well. go with the metal felpro ones.
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Perhaps swapping LIM/UIM from a 99-00 3100/3400 wouldn't be a bad idea?

I'm not in a hurry to get the car back up and running. I got my truck for my town errands.

Would I want to find LIM/UIM from pre 99' 3400? Use my current Plenum? Get new gaskets.

Really no sense doing the above unless it's going to render at least "minimal" results. I didn't see any UIM on the web at the local yard but there is half a dozen yards within 15 miles. It'd be nice to get a little better off the line and more after 30MPH if not more in the 60-70 area.

Would I need the TB assembly as well? Would the 3100 99+ UIM/LIM be pretty much the same? I think that's what I read. I see U/LIM for a 00' 3100 but only Lower for 99-00 3400. That's only one yard.

Would those just bolt on or does it need to be fashioned one way or another?

I'm setting up a warm room in my garage tomorrow so I can have a "clean" room that's between 50-60F to work in cause it keeps dropping below 0; kind of f'n up my plans to work on the Cutlass.

Comment

If the heads have roller rockers, go ahead. If they don't, and have notches for roller rockers swap em on and proceed. If not either, then you gotta grind the Lower intake to clear the ball-pivot style rockers... Like I did.

For lower 96-98 3400 (already tapped for your coolant pipe, else newer you'll have to tap it yourself)

Upper, 2000+ has a better flowing neck. You'll need an EGR adapter with either the 2000+ or the older ones either way.

Use lower intake gasket for your older heads, and use upper gasket for the large port 3400 or 2000+ 3100 of course. EGR adapter sold at the store here. TB from a 3400 is 56mm over your 52mm. Swap linkage over if need be. Or use your old...

Some 99 3100's were large port. Some were not. All 2000+ 3100 are large port however. 6 bolts on the plenum and no lines on the plenum.

If you just block off the EGR you'll get a check engine light when the car tries to activate it, it knows it's not flowing...
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

is there any advantage to using 3400 or large port 3100 heads? Then again that's might be getting a bit deeper than I'd care to go this time round. But if it has enough gain then it may be worth it.

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
              If the heads have roller rockers, go ahead. If they don't, and have notches for roller rockers swap em on and proceed. If not either, then you gotta grind the Lower intake to clear the ball-pivot style rockers... Like I did.

For lower 96-98 3400 (already tapped for your coolant pipe, else newer you'll have to tap it yourself)

Upper, 2000+ has a better flowing neck. You'll need an EGR adapter with either the 2000+ or the older ones either way.

Use lower intake gasket for your older heads, and use upper gasket for the large port 3400 or 2000+ 3100 of course. EGR adapter sold at the store here. TB from a 3400 is 56mm over your 52mm. Swap linkage over if need be. Or use your old...

Some 99 3100's were large port. Some were not. All 2000+ 3100 are large port however. 6 bolts on the plenum and no lines on the plenum.

If you just block off the EGR you'll get a check engine light when the car tries to activate it, it knows it's not flowing...

Comment

2000+ 3x00 have larger intake valves by a tiny bit. Not sure if that's all 3400's or just 2000+. Of course it's only 2000+ 3100 heads though for sure (same as 3400 2000+)
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

All 3400 heads have the larger intake valves (1.76" vs 1.72").
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

and as far as the 00+ upper intake goes i found this out awhile back before anyone knew when i was done porting it to 65mm, needless to say i started over on a 00+.
                    heres a pic i took of mine while doing it. if you look inside theres a little shelf right inside the kneck where it opens up on the pre99
                    sigpic
                    99 Grand Am GT
                    3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                    Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                    1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                    515 515 lift 112 lsa
                    15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Brad. That's what I thought but recently a few people have been talking like it had to be 2000+ for all heads to get them.

Good to know.

nixtux: If you don't swap heads find out if you have roller rockers. If you don't find out if you have a notch cut below where the stud bolts on. If so you can swap to them. Other wise you'll have to grind the LIM to clear and it may not be worth your hassle like you said. But if the motor is out of the car then it would make grinding and checking clearance a lot easier! Turn it over by hand with the manifold and gasket bolted down with the spark plugs out and watch the rockers closely with an inspection mirror.

I ground mine mostly by pictures then touched up when I bolted the manifold on and inspected. It is my daily driver so I didn't have a lot of time to do all of that haha. I ground a lot off though and probably was pretty close to going through the runner.

I also ported out the 3500 upper and 3400 lower before hand.
                      Original L82 Longblock
                      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

As soon as it's a bit warmer I'll check up on that.

It's a bit confusing to me yet. Hopefully my friend can help this weekend and we can check that stuff out. I'm not exactly a versed mechanic but I'm learning as time goes on.

Give me a software requirement in the telecommunications field I can likely write it up.

Thanks for all your help.

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                        Thanks for clearing that up Brad. That's what I thought but recently a few people have been talking like it had to be 2000+ for all heads to get them.

Good to know.

nixtux: If you don't swap heads find out if you have roller rockers. If you don't find out if you have a notch cut below where the stud bolts on. If so you can swap to them. Other wise you'll have to grind the LIM to clear and it may not be worth your hassle like you said. But if the motor is out of the car then it would make grinding and checking clearance a lot easier! Turn it over by hand with the manifold and gasket bolted down with the spark plugs out and watch the rockers closely with an inspection mirror.

I ground mine mostly by pictures then touched up when I bolted the manifold on and inspected. It is my daily driver so I didn't have a lot of time to do all of that haha. I ground a lot off though and probably was pretty close to going through the runner.

I also ported out the 3500 upper and 3400 lower before hand.

Comment

Pics are in the gallery of where the rockers hit the manifold if that helps.
                          Original L82 Longblock
                          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Working...
                          X