Cam bearing orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam bearing orientation

I was pressing in my cam bearings today, and got stuck.

Made note of the location of the oil passages, but don't remember if it's the front or rear that had the two passages.

Could have sworn it was the rear, but the package has it labeled as #1. The center two are the same, and are done, but didn't want to go any further until I confirmed.

Gen1 block.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Position the hole between 4 o clock and 5 o clock when viewed from the front.

Information is from the Chevy Power Manual in case you are wondering.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
      Position the hole between 4 o clock and 5 o clock when viewed from the front.

Information is from the Chevy Power Manual in case you are wondering.
      I know that part, I'm looking for which end the bearing with two passages goes in.

Three bearings have one hole, the other has two. The two center bearings are smaller in outside diameter, so they can slip through the front/back boss. Then the other two are larger. Pressed the two center ones in witrh the holes in the proper loaction, and know the orientation of the one with two holes, but I think they may have been packaged backwards.

The front boss has 5 oil passages leading into the block, the rear has 2.

Then there is also a notch in the bearing with two holes that leads from the hole to the edge of the bearing. The stock bearing didn't have this notch, but the Sealed Power do. I can pull apart the 3.1 I have, but I was hoping someone who has done the bearing installon a 660 could help.

Like I said, I thought I remember pulling the one with two holes out of the back of the motor, but is labeled #1 in the box. (unless #1 is the rear?)
      Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 12-10-2007, 10:50 PM.
      Links:
      WOT-Tech.com
      FaceBook
      Instagram

Comment

I believe I found it. Yes, they were packaged correct.

The front bearing on GM engines also supplies the gear/chain with oil. The bearing with two holes has a notch to allow oil to escape into the timing cover. This means my origional assumption was wrong, the front bearing is the one with two passages, and the notch faces the timing cover.

AutoZone, go figure...

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
        Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 12-10-2007, 11:43 PM.
        Links:
        WOT-Tech.com
        FaceBook
        Instagram

Comment

Working...
        X