Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remove the pistons from the rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you remove the pistons from the rods?

Ive done a search both on here and google and cant find what Im looking for. The stuff I found on google shows retaining clips at each end of the piston dowel, but there arent any on either side of my 3400 pistons. I also tried hammering them out, with no success.
    2006 AWD TBSS 12.538 @ 106.92 1.66 60' Bolt-ons only

HAMMER?!!! NO! Press is what you'll need. If you don't have one, take them to a reputable performance shop that does.. IF your pistons and such are still OK.
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

I dont care about the pistons, theyre garbage to me, otherwise I wouldnt be hammering at them! So they just press out then? Im going to try and rig something up with a C clamp.

Comment

Originally posted by silvergtjrad View Post
        I dont care about the pistons, theyre garbage to me, otherwise I wouldnt be hammering at them! So they just press out then? Im going to try and rig something up with a C clamp.
        Hahaha Dont waste your time.
        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

I just went and tried for 10 minutes, you are right! those friggin things are in there good.

Comment

I did the same as you, tried to beat them out with a socket and a bfh, i damaged the socket pretty good. lol

Took me 5 mins to swap the pistons over on a press.
            3100 Sunfire

Comment

Pressed in..any decent shop has one of those stand up press rigs.Find one that does engine work and have them installed.Sounds as though you are trying to save the wrist pins and rods right?.

Comment

You can rig up a home-made press, but unless you have machinig experience - don't try it.

We would charge about $20-40 if someone walked into the shop with a hand full of pistons and asked for them to be presses out.

You can use some dry ice to chill the pins for a few hrs, then they''ll drop right back in, though
                Links:
                WOT-Tech.com
                FaceBook
                Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMechanic View Post
                  Pressed in..any decent shop has one of those stand up press rigs.Find one that does engine work and have them installed.Sounds as though you are trying to save the wrist pins and rods right?.
                  I just need the rods, Ive got new wrist pins for my new pistons.

Comment

press fit pins are usually heat installed.... theres no way you'll get them out without a press, trying anything else is usually just a waste of time

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
                      press fit pins are usually heat installed.... theres no way you'll get them out without a press, trying anything else is usually just a waste of time
                      Right. you can heat the pistons, or cool the pins
                      Links:
                      WOT-Tech.com
                      FaceBook
                      Instagram

Comment

what you got planned man? where r u taking your engine to be machined at?
                        [SIGPIC]
                        12.268@117... 11's to come!
                        turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
                        ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightriderZ24 View Post
                          what you got planned man? where r u taking your engine to be machined at?
                          I really dont know where yet. I dont know anyone with a hookup, or even someone who has had machine work done in our area. My dad said a guy he works with has a friend who owns a speedshop in addison.

As far as the engine goes, check out http://www.60degreev6.com/showthread...ght=3400+build that thread. Its going to be turboed, im lookiing at a garrett gt35r turbo or something similar. I havent decided what I'm going to do for a transmission. Maybe a 4t65hd swap, and built up on top of that. Only thing holding me back from progress is $$. After I finish my christmas shopping, its on like donkey kong.

Comment

Working...
                          X