Injector failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injector failure

I have been reading that the multec 2 injectors in my '97 vin m 3100 are failure prone. I had all 6 of them replaced about 15 months ago after a second one failed shortly after the first one failed a month or two prior to that...

Since having all six replaced, one has already been re-replaced under warranty.... about 2 months ago.

Now I've got P0 303, no observable spark problem and I'm looking at pulling the plenum again

It is possible that the mechanic screwed me and did not actually replace all six injectors. Since I have no way of telling, I am planning to just replace all six again myself (which will cost me less than paying to have just one done).

I've done the LIM gasket twice on this car (last time with the metal Fel-pro) and am quite familiar with the requirements of the job.

My question:

Can I remove and replace the plenum (and thus the rail and injectors) without disconnecting the throttle body coolant lines and the threaded coolant pipe fitting that goes into the LIM. I've had to replace that sucker before when removing the LIM. I'd like to also avoid the fight with those pesky little coolant lines. Can you take the thottle body off the plenum and lave it in the car while servicing injectors ? Thanks.

Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with these injectors ? The replacements were supposedly new Delphi OE injectors.

TIA,

Mike

Anybody seen this ? Thoughts on the reconditioned injectors ?

Mike

Comment

you can avoid messing with the TB coolant lines, and cables by simply unbolting the TB from the plenum and letting it hang there. Next is that LIM coolant line, keep it on. You're not going to remove the LIM for this job anyway, just the upper intake manifold. For your job, it's basically unbolt TB, coil pack assembly (set aside), brake booster hose, misc vac lines, EGR and set aside, upper intake bolts, intake, then fuel lines, undo wiring and set aside, fuel rail, swap injectors.
      Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
      3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
      Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
      2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
      TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Oh, also I never had one of those injectors ever short out on me. In fact, I thought I did, so I sent a set of 3.4 E's to witchhunter to perform a thorough test, clean, balance, re-test. One of mine just had a clogged inlet screen. I'm willing to bet they see a lot of those injectors since there's so many of them out there.
        Brian

3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
        2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB

Comment

how much did it cost you to have witchhunter clean your injectors?

Cammed 3400 --> 224whp 210wtq
          Cammed 3500 --> ???
          1 of 5 3500 J-Bodies

Comment

It was something like $16 per injector for all services I listed, plus return ship. They also replace all O-rings.
            Brian

3400 SFI V6, 4T60e

Comment

I ohm'ed all of my injectors are they were all the same but one was like .3 ohm difference or something minor. Engine seems to run fine, any concern do you think on injectors this old with this many miles (200k) ?
              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

injector

Originally posted by Rhedalert View Post
                Oh, also I never had one of those injectors ever short out on me. In fact, I thought I did, so I sent a set of 3.4 E's to witchhunter to perform a thorough test, clean, balance, re-test. One of mine just had a clogged inlet screen. I'm willing to bet they see a lot of those injectors since there's so many of them out there.

I tapped on the #3 injector with a wrench and it "came back to life", a phenomenon mentioned by the guy in the article that I referenced in my previous post. Maybe I should have them cleaned too...

Thanks,

Mike F

Comment

Working...
                X