Need advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice!

So, I've got the block degreased, power washed and dried, should I media blast and if so, #6 glass bead OK? If ok, should I tape off important parts (heads....) NEED ADVICE...

Also any opinions on whether I should replace crank bearings, 95 - 3.4 SFI that had 95,000 km's before tree stopped it!

deffinetly tape off any sealing or gasket surfaces.... if your going to do this the block should be bare though IMO, really, your best bet is to just hit it with a wire wheel or brush and then degrease again, then soapy water, rinse, air dry (make sure bolt holes are dry before bolting anything up) and paint

Comment

Don't blast it, you'll never get all that junk out.

Take it to a shop and have it hot tanked, that'll eat all the crap off and it'll come out looking like new.

Yes, replace all the bearings while you have it apart. Also have the crank polished if it checks out ok.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

confused

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
        deffinetly tape off any sealing or gasket surfaces.... if your going to do this the block should be bare though IMO, really, your best bet is to just hit it with a wire wheel or brush and then degrease again, then soapy water, rinse, air dry (make sure bolt holes are dry before bolting anything up) and paint

"though IMO" what is IMO? Also how much to have my crank polished. (no bad jokes either, ok just a couple)

Comment

IMO = In My Opnion

usually around $30 or so to get the crank polished.
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

honing cylinder walls

what is the best type of hone for cylinder walls, no scoring not even any minor discoloration. Out of all 1 broken ring but even that cylinder wall is still good?

Comment

Any shop can do a cleanup hone for you. Hell for the condition yours seems to be in I would just hit it with a ball hone on a drill and be done with it. Same with polishing the crank. If it is all specs out perfectly round then just hit it with some 400grit emery cloth.
              1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
              1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
              Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Lubricant

What type and how much lub should I use when honing the cylinder walls.
                Also I have used #6 Glass bead to clean my pistons, worked amazingly well no marks, just perfectly clean. Should I use them? or get new ones?! I am replacing the Connecting Rod bearings and rings, but did not want to change out pistons too.

Comment

I glass beaded the outside of my block just to get the rust/paint chips off (120psi). Gasket surfaces got hit with a fine soft wire brush and they came out nice. Block was bare.

I'm using one of the three-stone hones, like this...

http://www.dansmc.com/spring_hones.jpg
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by sunbeam39 View Post
                    "though IMO" what is IMO? Also how much to have my crank polished. (no bad jokes either, ok just a couple)
                    Abbreviations irritate me to. I can't tell you how long it took me to figure out what IIRC means. Now I have a better understanding of why my preceptor snaps at me when I use acronyms and abbreviations under the assumption that eveyone knows what I'm talking about.

Comment

Manual

Any recommendations for engine rebuild manual?!?!

Comment

Helm Incorporated's online bookstore provides factory authorized automotive & motorcycle technical publications: Ford, General Motors (GM), Honda Motors, Honda Motorcycle, Suzuki, KIA, Isuzu, Hyundai
                        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Good old Helm Inc. I remember when the price of their shop manuals nearly doubled after I purchased one for about $70 for my Camaro and shyed away from ~$130 a few months later for a Fiero manual of nearly the same year model thanks to competition from computer data storage I guess.

Comment

Sounds good

Thanks for the link, saving allowance for manual $175 now

Comment

Working...
                            X