Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upper intake manifold broke while installing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper intake manifold broke while installing.

Last week I helped a buddy of mine replace a LIM gasket on his 2000 Alero. While installing the UIM, it cracked at one of the runners. The Haynes manual didn't have the tightening sequence for the large port manifolds. It only had for the small port. When I torqued it down, I did it in three steps, till I reached the proper torque, but i didn't notice it had broken till everything was done so I don't know exactly when it broke. Did I cause the manifold to break, and if so, what can I do differently to insure it doesn't happen again?

Did you use the metal with rubber gaskets or paper like gaskets?
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the upper gasket was paper. It came with the Fel-pro Problem Solving Gasket set.

Comment

I know from experience (with a carburator on a 2.3L Ford) that if the corner is ripped off a paper gasket (around a bolt hole), then the aluminum can crack when the bolt is tightened- if there's no gasket under the bolt hole to support it.

Comment

FYI, lots of radiator shops have the equipment to weld aluminum. Might be cheaper and quicker than a replacement if the crack isn't in a critical area.

Comment

Originally posted by tractorman View Post
            FYI, lots of radiator shops have the equipment to weld aluminum. Might be cheaper and quicker than a replacement if the crack isn't in a critical area.
            I didn't think of that. I have to see where the crack is and see if that's an option. Thanks

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
            Did you use the metal with rubber gaskets or paper like gaskets?
            Is there a rubber gasket for this manifold that would make this less likely to happen? Do you know who makes it?

Comment

I suggest not using the rubber one. They made one for the MPFI UIM too and everytime I see a 2.8/3.1 in the yard with the rubber ringed metal gasket UIM there happens to be a crack or chunk missing out of it at the corner(s) . Just find out the tq numbers and make sure nothing was under it making it an uneven surface.
              Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

the metal/rubber gaskets are used with a specific upper and lower intake manifold. It uses special bolts with rubber grommets too keep it from breaking. It IS a problem solver type of thing, but people don't know that to use the metal/rubber gaskets, you HAVE to use the upper and lower intakes.
                Taylor
                1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
                1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
                1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
                1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
                "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

Working...
                X