Manifold gasket or head gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manifold gasket or head gaskets

OK im new here(typically on ls1tech.com/ls1.com due to me having an ls1 trans am)anyway my girlfriend is the reason im here and her wonderfull 1999 Olds Alero . Every possiable problem that people post about the car, this piece of s#it has, well i think she got the final problem(LIM gasket).

Ok as the story goes(and i have read countless posts) she has had an antifreze leak for some time.. Wasn't so bad and had to add 1 gallon or so about every 4-6 months. Fast forward to about 3 months ago and i have to add a gallon to it about every 4 weeks. Now just this past friday the car basically acted funny on her,temp was up there and the radiator fluid light was on. Well thankfully i tought her well and she knew enough to not let the car overheat and shut it off till i came home.. Upon inspection the radiator was basically empty, no problem i thought. I went to the store got the water/antifreze and proceded to fill the overflow, ran the car and continued to fill the overflow. Car ran fine, it was a bit colder the other night and it was smoking a bit(might be why im thinking head gaskets-but i ran my car which was right next to hers and my car smoked a bit but hers was a little more) Well anyway after i put like 3 gallons of water/antifreze in i was like where the hell is all this stuff going,then it dawned on me to check the oil and sure enough Chocolate Milkshake Damn this friggin car. Anyway the only question is-- Is it the manifold gasket or are the head gaskets leaking. I did smell antifreze when the car was running but couldnt tell if it was coming from the motor or exhaust probably cause i had some of it on me while i was filling the overflow pluss getting a good wif of it when i pulled the oil cap. So do you think i have the typical manifold leak? How many have had head gaskets go. The car has 120k miles on it and its not going to be hers too much longer.

forgot to say i did check the typical outside areas(by the throttle body and by the powerstearing pump) and both areas were wet/damp. I wouldnt say they were dripping but you could tell there was some getting by the gasket.

Comment

manifold.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

yup. manifold.

Comment

Working...
        X