This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammered Crankshaft

I may have a chance to pickup cheap a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais with Quad-Four, that has some hammer time on one rod, most likely.

Is it possible to have submersible welding done on rod journal, if this is the case?

Do you really think a quad 4 crank is worth the investment? If you want the motor and it is cheep go for it. But ditch the crank if it is damaged. There is no way it can be repaired cheaper than what you could pick up a good used one for.

As for repairs it does not need any fancy welding done to it. It simply needs the right filler metal added and the correct heat treatment process either before, after or both. But the hours invested would in no way be cheaper than a good used crank.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
      Do you really think a quad 4 crank is worth the investment?
      Yes/No...I can use the tranny out of it...or sink an Iron Duke in it, if I could find the motor mounts for it.

Vehicle is clean...and last time I had a crank turned and welded on for thrust bearing surface, it was only $125.00 with bearings included, and shipped to my door.

Where do you find cheap Quad Four cranks?

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
        pick up a good used one for.
        Footnote = "Our extensive research shows there are actually a total of six different blocks, three cranks, three rods, seven heads, four cam housings, four front covers and three oil pumps used on these engines from 1987 through 1995, and that doesn’t include the changes that were made for the 2.4L engine! It’s no wonder that everyone seems confused about what goes where, when and why.

Comment

Why do you keep posting about 4-cyl engines?
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Working...
          X