3100 Antifreeze leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3100 Antifreeze leak

I have a '99 chevy malibu and it has a LG8 aka 3100. It appears to almost be squirting antifreeze from where the intake manifold gasket would be. I've only had the cr for about a month and I got it for free. I wanted to know if the problem I was having was a common problem.

Thanks in advanced.

Yep, very common. Lower intake manifold gaskets shot.

Very indepth change out procedure, because if you have noticed everything is bolted to everything else under the hood of these cars. But it can be accomplished with basic tools and knowledge. About the only non basic tool you will need is a torque wrench.

You need to remove the intake/TB assy, alternator, power steering pump, motor mount, upper and lower intake manifolds (obviously), valve covers, rockers, push rods, drain coolant, plus remove any cables, wires, vacume lines, etc. that may be in the way.

Get yourself a Chiltons manual and it will tell you everything you need to do. I don't know how mechanically inclinded you are or what you have for work space or tools. If you are very novice I don't recommend a backyard job, get into a garage. Because it will likely take you more than a day and you will probably be leaving the engine open for an extended peiod. So, I recommend that you check out the procedure and see if you are comfortable doing it. If you are great, the gaskets are cheap as dirt and other than some basic cleaning supplies and coolant thats all you will need.

Otherwise it's very labour intensive and a shop will charge you several hundred dollars for the work.

I did write a detailed description on this site a long time ago, I imagine it's still around. I'll take a look and see.

Hope this helps.

Lyle

Comment

Lower intake, easy job but takes a lot of time and patience.

Comment

Working...
      X