Replacing Intake Manafold gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for info again..

ahhh the bearings... i have heard some much about the said bearings....
    My thought is if i get it "running" and it is not "perfect" then I am getting rid of it. So... what ever.. i am done with this thing... hehe...

Comment

Yes i am stilll at it.

Well i got a cousin involved now.. a little more technically inclined than me.. thank god..

But a snag... I have read about replacing the bolts on the intake manifold instead of using the old..

well now i know why.... snapped the 1st one in half... luckily, after we took the manifold rods and gasket back off, we could use a pair of vicegrips to get it and screw it out.... dag that was close...

This is what i am going to try to buy... yes? no?
      http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...artNumber=6091

Also can some one give me link to the tourqe specs and sequence for the intake manifold ... lower.. and upper if there is one..

thanks again...

oh and by the way... correct me if i am wrong but the original manifold gasket was not plastic right ... well mine was and the manifold bolts were like finger loose... grrr... i am fixing someone elses ef' up.

Comment

Your car doesn't show up on the list, but the procedure is still the same.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Soooo are those the right bolts?

Ahh yeah I am also replacing the oli filter, plugs and wires also... so this thing run like new righhhhhht

Comment

Yes, those are the correct bolts for the lower manifold.

And to answer your question concerning the torque specs for the upper...
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

After this is done, run 1/2 can of seafoam cleaner with the oil, and change it after about 200 miles. Should hopefully help with the gunk issue.
              Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
              3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
              Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
              2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
              TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Dunno about those bolts. But if they are right thread/length/etc that should work. Make sure you put blue medium thread locker on the lower intake bolts so that they do not back off like you found them doing.

Also the stock gasket and standard replacement gaskets are plastic thats what the problem is. Getting the all metal felpro problem solver gasket that is all metal will stop it from leaking again because metal does not warp/crack like the plastic which causes the rubber sealing to move away from the ports and cooling jackets.

For sparkplugs make sure you go with ac-delco. Don't get bosch or the car will run like crap. http://60degreev6.com/showthread.php?t=37003 that is a good place for info. Go with the R44LTSM6 if you are on a budget and want normal plugs, or 41-101 for iridiums if you wish.
                sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

yeah and boooo

Ok guys thanks for everything so far.. the car is back together and "running" it seemed to run fine last night at MIDNIGHT... damn i hate being tenacious.. I ran it for about 15-20 mins and was great at idle... no misses bumps rises in temps.. etc..

BUUUUTTTTTTT

I drove it to work this morning and it was back to similar from when i started... yes i was VERY pissy this morning tooo.. So.. any ideas.. I also installed a new pressure release value for the collant... I am going to have the oil changed today and will probaly to a flush in couple hundred miles... think i do the flush now? today.... sucks cause i just threw new antifreeze in it.. but oh well.. ummmm ....that is about it i guess...

also to give an idea of the conditions.. the temp creeps up over half and it seems to make the engine loose performance jumping and shaking.. if i throttle it, it seems to make the thermastat kick in and then it then the heat comes into the car... now .. the thermastat is not even a year old so.. don't think it is that.. i also let some air of the coolant lines this morning and durning my ride in to work, only 15 miles, i did a couple times more to check and there was no air in the lines..

ALSO I got the new bolts from GM ... dag 5 bucks a pop for the long ones good thing there was only four of those.....
                  Was this all for not? Please tell me no...

Thanks.

Comment

Well you definitely had issues with a leaky lower gasket.

But it sounds like dexcool has clogged up the radiator or heater core. It needs a good flushing to get all the sludge out. Someone else on here should chime in on what works with that. Only thing I know is someone I knew had the issue and took it to a place and got a flush. They had no heat but then a few miles down the road it broke free.

You need to change the oil though to get out the sludge and coolant that was in the oil though ASAP.

And yes you will have less performance with a hot engine, and mine will idle rougher when it gets hot like that sitting in drive through.
                    Original L82 Longblock
                    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

well.. I went and got the oil changed.. during the change they made a note that there is oil in my coolant.. just changed it... the thing is jumpin and hesitating all over the place... less than pleased...

I went to pepboys to talk to them about doing a flush and change on the coolant... he said he would rather do a pressure check to see if there is a problem with the lower before doing the flush... because this would just be a waste of money.... I kinda agree.. for some reason i did not even know i could do a pressure check... he said it would be like 50 bucks... think i should do it?

Comment

what a dumbass

Originally posted by techgeek27 View Post
                        ... note that there is oil in my coolant..
                        Freakin hick who told me that can't read.... **** SIGHHH****

I read the notes from the oil change and it is NOT "oil in the coolant" ... it IS "coolant in the OIL" .... yeah... that actually makes me happy

and makes me want to him...

Comment

hahah cool. Yeah of course there was coolant in the oil. You had a leaky LIM gasket.

Funny, you worked on your engine but took it somewhere to change the oil. Hahah.

How good are the coils, wires, plugs, etc? Is the CPS on it's way out?
                          Original L82 Longblock
                          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

the dumbass strikes again...

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                            hahah cool. Yeah of course there was coolant in the oil. You had a leaky LIM gasket.

Funny, you worked on your engine but took it somewhere to change the oil. Hahah.

How good are the coils, wires, plugs, etc? Is the CPS on it's way out?
                            I hate changing oil... and no matter what the movie "Fight club" says used oil doesn't make good lawn fertilizer

Ok.. well. I think i might have a reason why every thing is coming back... and it pisses me off....

That spot where you guys gave me the specs for tightening down the intake manifold.. I ef'd it up... where it say 62 Lb In.. well i tried to take it too 62 Lb Ft... Only got to about 40 before i figured it out... which is ohhhh 600 lb in.. ouch.. well I didn't really care at that point and i said ef it and put back together..

Soo.. is that gasket shot? can i just take it back apart an reset the tourqe?

I am soo disgusted with myself ... I drove around for about 5 minutes this morning looking like a smoke bomb... I am guessing untill all the coolant burned offf....

so what is the verdict. on this stupidity mistake..

Comment

ohh and to answer you question.. the wires are brandnew and so are the plugs.. <-- set to the correct specs... LOL **cry**

Um.... and what the crap is a CPS?

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                                Oh yeah an the other reason i didn't change the oil at the time i was finish is it was 1 in the morning. AND SLEEPY TIME was then..

Comment

Working...
                                X