distributor installed wrong??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distributor installed wrong??

Replaced the ignition module, cap, rotor, and coil on my fiero this weekend. After the install, i pulled each wire one by one from the old cap and transferred to the new cap. It started, but ran really rough, like I had crossed some wires. I checked labeling of the wires (white dots) and noticed they were all screwed up.. none of the numbers corresponded to what actual cylinder it went to.

After re-labeling the wires, i setup the timing just like Haynes, Chiltons, and fieroforums said to... nothing.

long story short, my timing ends up like this... and it runs :wtf:
    so... anyone care to explain why? stock is supposed to be the black dot (cyl#1) mine is the blue dot (cyl#1)

the problem with all the diagrams ive seen is that none of them show the ignition module location (the square part) and I added it.. maybe I have the "stock" #1 in the wrong location, and its suppossed to go down 1 more pole... and that would make me 180º off
    I modify stuff

You did not remove the distributor?

You got something wrong. The number 1 plug wire and the rotor should point at the number 1 spark (7 o-clock) plug when the number 1 cylinder in on TDC compression. So install the distributor this way and be sure the rotor points in the right direction and that you are not 180* off.

When dropping the distributor in start with the roto pointing at 6o-clock then as you push down and engage the gear it will goto the 7o-clock position. When installed right the cap will fit on and the number 1 terminal will point at 7o-clock also. Install your wires and start the car and time the engine (do not forget you ESC bypasswire when timing)
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

The Orientation Stock on an S10 is one pole counter clockwise from the blue dot in that picture. The ignition module "square" normally faces to the "front"of the block

Me thinks you just dropped the distributor in phased with that orientation , you can make any "pole" number one if you phase it that way. If it runs fine and you dont feel the need to change anything, then there you go. But if you want the distributor phased like you think you need it to be then....
      Phase it. Pull off the valve cover on the bank with the number one cylinder. Watch the intake valve go down then come up and watch the mark on the balancer arrive at zero. Rotate the engine back to set 10 degrees initial and stab the distributor in the block as with the square module facing the front of the block and the number one pole 1 pole counterclockwise from that blue dot location , phase the rotor to that pole .

Take your cap and put somewhiteout on that post. Now with an awl scratch the aluminum "flange" on the distributor same location as where the number one pole is. One you do the method below you can softly turn the distributor and feel it "groove" into the step recheck with cap for oreintation and fire up and advance as you wish.

A huge trick for any distributor drop in is to just plop that sucker in any way it fits longs as it sits even with the block , note which way the rotor is facing dont matter if its not where you want it, just note the rotor tip , pop it back up off the cam gear and rotate it exactly opposite direction it just was. This will move it one tooth at a time , keep poping it up turning it each time the oposite it was facing(the rotor tip) and eventually it will 1 tooth at a time end up right where you have your number one pole location.
      1992 Chevrolet S10
      2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

Maybe you guys have yours different than a fiero.. all the ones I have seen have the square part facing that exact way.. the picture is the exact way you are seeing the engine because of the way its mounted in the car.

I didnt do anything with the distributor, and I am not the original owner of this car... someone else put the distributor in this way. I was just trying to figure out why the car wouldnt run when I had the wires set to the Haynes/Chiltons manual.

You also have to realize how cramped the pulley side of the engine is.. its almost impossible to see the timing marks.
        I modify stuff

Comment

No the fiero is still the same. Number 1 terminal/rotor points at the number 1 cylinder (7-oclock) whne the number 1 cylinder is on TDC compression.

Doesn't matter what vehicle the engine is in. I will show you a pic of the factory manual if you need it.
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

you say 7o'clock.. but that is relative to how you are looking at the engine in the vehicle.. 7o'clock for you is 4o'clock for me.
            I modify stuff

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou
              No the fiero is still the same. Number 1 terminal/rotor points at the number 1 cylinder (7-oclock) whne the number 1 cylinder is on TDC compression.

Doesn't matter what vehicle the engine is in. I will show you a pic of the factory manual if you need it.
              Yeah he is right. The guy that owned it before you put it in , so you just have to put them on they way they were and cant rely on a manual unless you re stab the distibutor the way it came from the factory.
              1992 Chevrolet S10
              2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed

Comment

Working...
              X