Where to buy exhaust manifold studs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy exhaust manifold studs?

No luck in the general forum so trying here too..I am doing a head gasket replacement/LIM replacement on my 95 grand am with the 3.1 SFI and and when removing the exhaust crossover between the manifolds 4 of the 6 studs broke. Where can they be purchased? I checked online and cant find them. I also have to get a new pair of springs for the exhaust manifold outlet studs. Thanks!

When I swapped heads recently, I wasnt able to find them anywhere but the dealer.
    2006 AWD TBSS 12.538 @ 106.92 1.66 60' Bolt-ons only

Comment

I can't find these anywhere either

And GM dealers in Canada want like $8.xx per stud (I kid you not)! Unbelieveable (as with all parts in Canada it seems)

I thought I got like 12 of the old ones out cleanly but I checked again and I only have like 8 which is only good for one side, which sucks at the moment.

I went to an auto parts store and they have assorted loose studs, but I'm just not sure if they are right because they seemed to have a large "dead" space in the middle which may be too big. They also had studs that were fully threaded both ways, but I wasn't sure about those either. I have to go back out today and see what I can find (this time brining a stud with me to compare, lol). Also none of the parts store studs have a hex top like the OE ones do, they're just plain studs.

The guy at the dealership suggested I try a hardware store, perhaps even finding stainless steel ones.

The size you're after btw, is 8 x 1.25 x 51 (metric stud--in mm; stud size x pitch x length).

As a side note if you're looking for the heat shield bolts, they are 6 x 1 x 12.

Here's a question though, what on earth are the springs for? I didn't see any springs on my car when I took everything off; are the springs for every application?

Comment

Hi,
        thanks for the replys, I do not need the studs for mounting the exhaust manifold to the head, I need the studs that go on the outlet side of the exhaust manifold, 3 are on each manifold. Also the springs are for the mounting the exhaust head pipe to the outlet of the rear exhaust manifold, the springs are to allow the exhaust system to move without losing the seal at the manifold.
        Anyone have the GM part number for the studs I need?

Comment

Try Walker (an exhaust company) part #35281. That should be the spring you need I think. I don't know about the bolts, not coming up with anything for that at the moment.

Oh wait hold on, not indicated for the 95, but for a 97 (which should really have the same exhaust system, if not very similar), I found Merit part #4970 which is described as "manifold bolt and spring".

Also, here's another link for a Maremount kit, I don't know if this link will work for you though...

Comment

Awesome, thanks! That will take care of the exhaust springs, now just need to find the exhaust studs. May have to just use bolts if I can get the thread size.

Comment

Working...
            X