engine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine question

if the 3400 top end will fit on the 3100 bottom end will a 97ish(not exactly sure the year of his car) 3100 top end fit on the 00+ 3400 bottom end? reason being i know a guy who blew the bottom end out of his 97 grand am, and i have the bottom end of a 3400 sitting here and if he can use it then its a benifit for both of us, i can get rid of the bottom end and he can get his car running again

The J-Body Organization, j-body.org, is the worlds largest automotive enthusiast group exclusively geared towards the General Motors GM J-car platform including the Chevrolet Cavalier, Pontiac Sunfire, Pontiac Sunbird, Pontiac J 2000, Oldsmobile Firenza, Buick SkyHawk and Cadillac Cimarron.

some people have mentioned the power loss, the guy is an older guy and dont really care about power he just wants to know if this will work if so then its alot cheaper for him this way

if anyone could let me know if he would be alright doing this that'd be great.
    Last edited by rsf98; 06-16-2007, 02:42 AM.

My 3400 Swap Page

Yes. But, you will have to keep the heads for the 3100 in order to use the manifolds. Some people's idea of a "bottom end" is different than others, that's the only reason I am mentioning this.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

as far as the engines go, if you have the complete engine, you can use the whole thing.

You CAN put the 3100 intake in the car, but keeping the 3400 intake will not do anything to mess the car up. The only difference might be one of the heater core lines (that is hooked into the back of the thermostat housing).

Keep in mind that with the 3400, you might want to use the 3400 PCM to get the best results.

When I put the 3400 topend on my 1996 Grand Prix, the only thing I had to change was that one heater pipe. I got it new from GM for like $15.00, and I did not have to change anything else.
      Taylor
      1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
      1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
      1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
      1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
      "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

That's funny, they sent you over here to get the same answers.

Your post is kind of confusing here...
        if the 3400 top end will fit on the 3100 bottom end will a 97ish(not exactly sure the year of his car) 3100 top end fit on the 00+ 3400 bottom end?
        But yes, you can use his top end on your short block if that's what you are asking.
        Links:
        WOT-Tech.com
        FaceBook
        Instagram

Comment

There's an interesting "hybrid"... Never heard of anyone using the older L82 type intakes/heads on a 3400! It'll still be more powerful than the engine he had in there (more displacement ), and perhaps around 10hp less than if it had a normal 3400 top end on it.

Comment

thanks for the answers guys, ive told the guy what ive been told so i guess i'll find out if hes going to go ahead with it
            Last edited by rsf98; 06-16-2007, 02:45 AM.

My 3400 Swap Page

Comment

Please let us know how it goes .
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

Working...
              X