Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LIM Gasket Change- Replace anything else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIM Gasket Change- Replace anything else?

In about a month I will be changing the LIM gasket and installing P&P intake manifolds on my 1999 3400. Would you reccomend changing anything else while i'm down there for performance/maintenence sake, such as new lifters? Anything I can do with rocker arms, pushrods, etc? I dont really want to install LS6 springs because I doubt they'll show much of a gain for the money.

No problems with current lifters (aside from the standard "lifter tick"), but do you think I should replace them in case they start to wear out in the future?

I've got 200,000 on my car and yes there is some tick but it goes away after it warms up, not sure if it's lifters or piston slap.

You should replace the oil pump drive shaft o-ring. It's in the block by the throttle body side. You gotta twist it back and forth as your pulling up on it with some pliers. Then put a new oring on it (I recommend going to the dealer as they have a new brown o-ring that lasts longer) and install that. Put it back down if it doesn't go take it out and rotate it slightly until it goes down easy. This will stop any oil leak there. Also when I went to the dealer they gave me a gasket to go underneath it. It's probably a distributor gasket for a small block chevy.

Also if you need new spark plugs now would be the time since there will be more space in the engine bay with the top stuff off the motor.

Also maybe a new thermostat, or a 180* one if you wish.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Yeah that's a good idea; I did the dist. plug o-ring change on my old 2.8 Beretta a few years back. Was leaking like crazy. I already have a 180-degree T-stat, but it's almost 2 years old. Think it's time for a change, or no? Also, the ticking sound doesnt go away when the car is warmed up...it stays the same. I had the same problem on my 2.8 V6 Beretta. I replaced the lifters and it didnt change anything. I dont think it is piston slap because 1. it's not loud enough, 2. it doesnt change with engine temp, and 3. it doesnt sound like a diesel. It sounds like valvetrain noise, but it's not 100% consistent (the clicks are almost random). Any ideas?

Comment

Hmm. Nope, other than maybe the rockers are loose and need tightening down?

Dunno about the t-stat. I just change mine when it acts up. I was just throwing it out there in case you had the original one still in there. It's probably fine, save your money.
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Working...
        X