'99 Chev Lumina 3100...sluggish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '99 Chev Lumina 3100...sluggish

Hey my car is at the mechanic again for the same issue; just thought I would post here and see if any of y'all had any ideas what could be the culprit:

1999 Chevrolet Lumina base 3100
    106,000 miles, proper maintanence, yada yada

There was a vac leak accompanyed by a hissing noise at idle, took me a month before I decided to look for it and the line from the PCV valve was disconnected from the purge solenoid valve. Put it back on and the next day the car was a total dog. It is probably just a coincidence though; I took the line back off and drove it but it was still being a dog so I put the line back on the way it should be and continued to drive it the way it was for a week.

Car has barely any bottom end power. Pretty similar to what I'd imagine a '96 Geo Metro with the A/C on would feel like accelerating from a stop. Power surges at mid-RPMs, since I have no tach I can only guess at around 2500-3500 RPM the engine surges. At high RPM and WOT there is no power. The power curve just completely drops.

0-60: 12 seconds (prior to this it was more like 9.5). Yes, this is not necessarily a diagnosis tool but just shows whatever the reason for the car benig so sluggish adds a lot of time to acceleration.

WOT from a stop, slow takeoff. Used to spin / chirp, now its a dog. Sticks in first at 35-40MPH, makes a lot of noise, very hard shift to second. Will not upshift out of second. Under WOT car will top out at 60MPH, make a shitload of noise and SES light will begin to flash (I go straight into neutral after this and shut it down and roll to a stop if that ever happens, only happened twice). Sometimes car will go up to 75MPH in second and will not upshift to third. Have to let off acclerator to shift to third.

Under normal driving, still slow takeoff. Engine has small surges and wants to kick down to a lower gear. Engine surge at mid-RPM, feels normal after surge then power quickly dies at higher RPM but will upshift as long as it's not WOT.

Things checked:

New fuel filter, new PCV valve & grommet, cleaned fuel injectors, WOT fuel pressure @ 40lbs, changed spark plugs (previous Delcos were not fouled, looked perfect), checked MAF sensor, cleaned sensors as K&N filter was used but there was no noticeable oil on the sensor, no noticeable leaks in intake or exhaust, pressure from tailpipe and cats do not glow am just ass.u.me the cats aren't plugged...mechanic suggested flushing and replacing ATF but I had that done last year already. Fluid is still pink however aerated when engine is idleing, that kind of worries me. ATF is NOT burnt, does nto smell burnt, bright red/pink and the tranny does NOT slip or jerk under any types of load.

Any ideas what else I could check? I know y'all are at the computer (obviously) and can't really see it but if you have any other sore thumb probabilities please let me know. thanks much.

Aeration could be from the fluid too high or too low. Does the torque converter lock up? Maybe a solinoid or valve is sticking the the transmission.

Comment

Check the idle air control valve and it's port in the throttelbody and see if it needs cleaning. Make sure not to change the valve's position.
      1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Since SES light is flashing, you've got a constant misfire going on. Get the codes read and find which cylinder(s) are misfiring. If you've got some injectors acting up or a coil pack or two not firing all the time, you'd get something like what you've got.

Comment

Hey thanks everyone. I'll just have him flush the ATF and replace it since its aerated anyway...

The IAC and especially coil pack seem like a good choices. those will probably be checked before tranny although i won't disregard it. had a friend with a 97 jeep w/318 had a dirty, pretty much clogged IAC and would stall out at low RPMs. coil packs seem like a possibility too now that you mention misfire at those RPMs (I don't have any equip here live in a stupid apartment that won't allow you to work on cars/bikes/sleds/etc) so I"ll have that checked if he did not already. primary focus so far has been various sensors and fuel delivery, intake as i said was fine and fuel pressure is up so i like the coil pack idea and IAC.

fyi kill_them_all T/C locks up fine.

Comment

holy mary turns out it was the cat after all. taking it down the road gauge shows over 60lbs, ouch...still pressure from tailpipe and did not glow, caught me offguard. just glad its taken care of now, wonder how much damage was caused driving it like this for the past week and a half.

Comment

Working...
            X