Gas too old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas too old?

How long does it generally take for gas to "go bad"?
    I bought one of my Celebritys a couple years ago in non-running condition. I would guess the car sat for at least a year before I bought it. IIRC, the tank is around half full (or is that half empty ).
    The car will be put back together again soon, and I was wondering if I needed to drain the tank before I start the car. Or can I just top it off with fresh gas? Or even just use what's in it?

When in doubt, pour it out. I wouldn't use it if it were 3 years old or older. It might just gum up the injectors.
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Yeah, once you get to a year old, gas gets a little funky. Anything older just turns to a varnishy yuck.

Comment

OK, I guess I'll drop the tank and empty it out then. Might as well put in a new pump too so I don't need to worry about it.

Comment

whats it smell like?.. after about a year it probably will start to smell stale
          VIDEO Acadian http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8...7f00197eea.htm
          VIDEO Chevette http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...500156e11b.htm

Six-t-Six Motorsports
          2.8L Chevette Roadcar
          3.2L Acadian Racecar

Comment

I don't know what it smells like, my nose can't really tell the difference between old and new. Unless it's around 20 years old, I can detect that.

Comment

I smells kind of like varnish. I've bought REAL old cars with gas in the tank and it definitely doesn't smell like gas. When it gets to that point you should drain it. Remember, you've got fuel lines that have it in it and the fuel filter.
              '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

I've had a car sit for almost two years with 1/2 tank, and the fuel was alright. I guess it really depends on the region you live in; humidity, average temps, etc.

bad fuel tends to have a sour smell to it . . . kinda hard to describe.

You might be able to get by filling the tank off with mid-grade or premium and a can of Seafoam, but sometimes it's better safe than sorry . . .
                N-body enthusiast:
                {'87 Grand Am SE - 3.0 90* v6} / {'93 Grand Am LE - 3.3 90* v6}
                {'98 Grand Am SE - 2.4 Q4} / {'99 Grand Am GT1 - 3400 60* v6}

Current Project:
                {'90 Chevrolet C1500 Sport 350TBI}

Comment

I know that repairing generators get monotnous every year when the hurricanes come through here in FL. They are always gummed from leaving fuel in the lines/tank.

If fuel sits around here, it gets trashed. Fuel stabilizer works good, but once it's gone, it's gone.

I vote empty it before the start if you are unsure.
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

Comment

Working...
                  X