For anyone with higher mileage 3.1's (or any motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For anyone with higher mileage 3.1's (or any motor

Remember to Seafoam your cars!! Man I did this on my 152k mile 3.1, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MADE!!! It helped with gas mileage, but moreso with performance. Man does that stuff get your performance back up to snuff!
    Just some friendly input.
    Matt
    '93 Sunbird. 5spd, 3.1, it's fast. Oh, and 240k miles has proven lethal against Turbo Talons

I'm lurking occasionaly. It's tough because I'm usually too busy with the Army or my 5.0 Mustang. Which is for sale.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

you also get the super smokeshow for a little bit. did this on my buddies 96 skylark awhile back, that thing smoked like it was on fire. i never had the chance to do it on my beretta which has 180k before i took the top end off it.
    sigpic
    99 Grand Am GT
    3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
    Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
    1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
    515 515 lift 112 lsa
    15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Heh I think the smoke show is the best part :P
      But I'm tellin' ya.. 152k on my GP and this seafoam made a WORLD of difference
      '93 Sunbird. 5spd, 3.1, it's fast. Oh, and 240k miles has proven lethal against Turbo Talons

I'm lurking occasionaly. It's tough because I'm usually too busy with the Army or my 5.0 Mustang. Which is for sale.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

Where do you buy the stuff? How do you use it?

Comment

Originally posted by 85_305 View Post
          Heh I think the smoke show is the best part :P
          But I'm tellin' ya.. 152k on my GP and this seafoam made a WORLD of difference
          oh yeah its a pretty good smoke show. did it on mygran am last year that thing smoked like a bastard only had 85k at the time, then it decided to drink coolant so new engine time.

autozone,napa,advanced basically any parts store and i even think walmart might have it. its roughly 6 bucks a can
          Last edited by geldartb; 04-01-2007, 12:12 PM.
          sigpic
          99 Grand Am GT
          3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
          Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
          1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
          515 515 lift 112 lsa
          15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Originally posted by tractorman View Post
            Where do you buy the stuff? How do you use it?
            I got mine from Advanced Auto because they are good to me and help me out a lot. It's only a few bucks a can (I was VERY surprised), and super easy to use. They say only use a third the can, but I used the whole thing. All ya do is disconnect a vacuum line (depending which motor you have, this may be easy. My Fiance's '92-ish Lumina 3.1 had a HUGE easy brake-booster line to use. My '91 3.1 GP did not. So on my GP I used a funnel and poured it into that vacuum setup on top of the throttle body where those 3 vac lines plug into (pour directly into TB). Pour the stuff in, but actuate the gas so it doesn't stall. Let it burn the shit up. Then, after half the bottle or so, pour the stuff in so fast the engine stalls. Let is sit 20mins (let the stuff eat away the "bad stuff"). Then, start it. Continue pouring the seafoam in until gone. Then drive the PISS outta the car to finish cleaning it up. It will smoke for a while with a full can. But it works FANTASTIC.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

I'll give it a try on the ol' Corsica. It was carboned up pretty good when I did the LIM job about 30k ago.

I've heard of people running that as an injector cleaner, too. Anybody know something about that?

Comment

I'll give it a try on the ol' Corsica. It was carboned up pretty good when I did the LIM job about 30k ago.

I've heard of people running that as an injector cleaner, too. Anybody know something about that?
                Don't know about this Seafoam stuff, but I work the parts department at a GM dealer. We use BG Products exclusively and our BG rep gave me their 3-part 44K injector flush. One of the techs ran it through for me. One of the cans gets sprayed directly into the TBI unit through an air compressed sprayer, each of the other two go into the oil and gas tank. I noticed a HUGE difference in the cars performace. Did I gain any horsepower? Don't think so, but the car runs so much smoother, idles better and feels great at all highway speeds. I'm sure I get better mileage but most of the time I have my lead foot stuffed into it. BG offers two injector flush kits, a two and three-part depending on engine mileage. It's awesome stuff.

Comment

Ya you can do that too, but it's weakened a LOT doing it that way. Much more potent thru the vac lines

Originally posted by 442Mike View Post
                  Don't know about this Seafoam stuff, but I work the parts department at a GM dealer. We use BG Products exclusively and our BG rep gave me their 3-part 44K injector flush. One of the techs ran it through for me. One of the cans gets sprayed directly into the TBI unit through an air compressed sprayer, each of the other two go into the oil and gas tank. I noticed a HUGE difference in the cars performace. Did I gain any horsepower? Don't think so, but the car runs so much smoother, idles better and feels great at all highway speeds. I'm sure I get better mileage but most of the time I have my lead foot stuffed into it. BG offers two injector flush kits, a two and three-part depending on engine mileage. It's awesome stuff.
                  I've always wanted to drive to a place and have that special fuel-injection flush done. It sounds fool proof and fantastic. BUT. That costs a LOT of money. SeaFoam costs under four bucks a bottle I think

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

ATF

half in the oil, half in the gas.

And brake clean and force the engine to stall shooting it into the TB.

Has worked for me.

Mebey i will give seafoam a try.

Comment

Never tried brake cleaner-stalling the engine. But I sure do love my Seafoam

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                      X