Internal and External

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal and External

How can you visually tell what a stick flywheel is? The flexplates have a chuck of metal welded to them if external. How about the standard?
    '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

An internal balance wheel will have a clean back on it. The external balance wheel will have a cast in lump on the back.

Internal balance http://members.shaw.ca/betterthanyou...e_Flywheel.jpg
    External Balance
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Just saw it and found the chunk. This engine came from an '88 but apparently it was externally balanced. Then again, it wasn't the original engine, it was a rebuild. I have a flexplate that I've removed the balance on it, will the front balancer work or does it need to be changed too? This is my thread as to what I'm attempting. http://60degreev6.com/showthread.php?t=35749. My block is ready to go and I have purchased all new parts. I was surprised to see it was externally balanced. I was reading some 2.8 history last nite and it said it was a hit and miss thing whether they balanced them one way or the other. No way to be sure w/o looking.

Thanks for the reply.
      '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

Harmonic balancers are all neutral balance, so you should be fine.
        '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
        '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
        '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
        '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
        Originally posted by Aaron
        This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

Great, thanks for the reply!

Comment

I was wondering about these balancers again. I have a couple that have a small tab cast into them and then some w/o the tab. It's small but it's there. Doesn't mean anything?

Comment

pic? Are you sure it is from a 60* v6 Some other engines did have an off balance damper along with the flywheel.
              1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
              1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
              Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Check here "with weight".http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant...&Store_Code=DD

Schucks has the same Dorman part number from "84 to '89, but different numbers for the "Pioneer". I posted a pix with the tab casting(left top) and w/o, both from a external balance engine. After more looking and comparing, the "Autozone" "Pioneer" balancer for an '89 is .56 lb lighter than an '86. I'm thinking there is a difference between the externally balanced and internally balanced if ever so slight. But Dorman lists the SAME part number for ALL balancers for S10 2.8's from '84 to '89 and even '90 Camaro's which have the 3 spoke pulley. I believe there are Neutral pulleys, such as the Dorman's, and some that are balanced, Pioneer's.
                Last edited by bszopi; 05-02-2007, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X