Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 3.1 has more tq under pt-thrtle, than full??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 3.1 has more tq under pt-thrtle, than full??

Why does my '91 3.1 have more tq and "pull" under part-throttle than full throttle? It's VERY annoying!

Thanks,
    Matt
    '93 Sunbird. 5spd, 3.1, it's fast. Oh, and 240k miles has proven lethal against Turbo Talons

I'm lurking occasionaly. It's tough because I'm usually too busy with the Army or my 5.0 Mustang. Which is for sale.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

You notice if it is bogging out from too much fuel at wot?
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

What vehicle? You can put that info in your profile and it shows up in the drop down under your name.

Ive had that on my 91 3.1 grand prix. Fuel pump died later on but I dunno if it was related. I was always messing with my engine back then so god knows what helped or hurt.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Clogged cat too maybe? At full throttle it can choke the engine too much, but part throttle it's able to keep flowing enough to not notice...

Up until my friends car had cat problems I never really thought much about them, but this sounds like it could be clogged cat related..
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

My vote goes to clogged fuel filter or weak fuel pump.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
            You notice if it is bogging out from too much fuel at wot?
            I wonder this. I really dont know though. But say you give it quarter throttle to get moving in traffic (BTW i only run 91+. I can TELL a difference in gas mileage and performance), the car hauls balls. It doesn't redline, but it moves quick. Now, if I were to floor it, I can honestly tell it going SLOWER than when I was under part throttle. I don't think it's a bog though..

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
            What vehicle? You can put that info in your profile and it shows up in the drop down under your name.

Ive had that on my 91 3.1 grand prix. Fuel pump died later on but I dunno if it was related. I was always messing with my engine back then so god knows what helped or hurt.
            Sorry Chief, I will add my vehicle when I'm done replying But my fuel system is brand new. And I just had a mechanic check the fp thinking it was going out, but it ended up being the CPS. Now, the car idles funny when warm (you have to shut it down and restart it to idle right), and even when idling "right" it sometimes stalls or idles ultra low.

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
            Clogged cat too maybe? At full throttle it can choke the engine too much, but part throttle it's able to keep flowing enough to not notice...

Up until my friends car had cat problems I never really thought much about them, but this sounds like it could be clogged cat related..
            It has a custom Flowmaster exhaust on it, but as far as I know the stock cat was kept on. Now, the car DOES smell sweeter.. my buddy asked if I ran premium to which I replied yes.. and i SOMETIMES smell the eggy sulfer smell from the cat, but I dont know if it's shot or not. How can I tell for sure?

Originally posted by 86euro View Post
            My vote goes to clogged fuel filter or weak fuel pump.
            The fuel pump is brand new, and I just had it checked (problem ended up being the CPS.), but a fuel FILTER I suppose could be a potential problem. Are they hard to get to on these 3.1's?
            '93 Sunbird. 5spd, 3.1, it's fast. Oh, and 240k miles has proven lethal against Turbo Talons

I'm lurking occasionaly. It's tough because I'm usually too busy with the Army or my 5.0 Mustang. Which is for sale.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

My 3100 does the same, I just thought that's the weird way they worked.

Difference between 50% throttle and 100% throttle, well I can feel/tell no difference.
              SpudFiles
              Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
              Theopia
              Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
              3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

Originally posted by PCGUY112887 View Post
                My 3100 does the same, I just thought that's the weird way they worked.

Difference between 50% throttle and 100% throttle, well I can feel/tell no difference.
                Yeppers. Shouldn't be like that. I have NEVER had a car pull that sh*t on me. And I dont like it. There HAS to be something wrong or at least something I can do to fix that.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

Humm, well my fuel pump is new, everything else seems to be in tip-top condition.

Maybe clogged cat? I have 117k miles.
                  SpudFiles
                  Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
                  Theopia
                  Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
                  3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

Originally posted by PCGUY112887 View Post
                    Humm, well my fuel pump is new, everything else seems to be in tip-top condition.

Maybe clogged cat? I have 117k miles.
                    I have 151k miles. COULD be a cat I suppose.. and even if it's not it's probably a good idea to get a hi-flow one for the heck of it. So I will give it a try sometime. Anything else you could think of?

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

I noticed you have many different issues with this car in different posts. It's possible that they are all related. That makes me wonder if your computer is messed up, when they fry they can do wierd things. As for bogging at WOT I'd agree with everybody and say check the cat and fuel filter. the 3.1/3100 is a torquey (sp?) engine and you may not notice a huge jump between 75% throttle and 100% throttle especially if the engine is already wound up. The only other thing I can think of is bad blow-by. My friend had a 4.6 ford that ran better at half throttle than full because at full throttle he got really bad blow-by. The engine would rev but the car wouldn't go. That's a longshot but it does happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlspike View Post
                        I noticed you have many different issues with this car in different posts. It's possible that they are all related. That makes me wonder if your computer is messed up, when they fry they can do wierd things. As for bogging at WOT I'd agree with everybody and say check the cat and fuel filter. the 3.1/3100 is a torquey (sp?) engine and you may not notice a huge jump between 75% throttle and 100% throttle especially if the engine is already wound up. The only other thing I can think of is bad blow-by. My friend had a 4.6 ford that ran better at half throttle than full because at full throttle he got really bad blow-by. The engine would rev but the car wouldn't go. That's a longshot but it does happen.
                        Yep sure are a few different problems. All very annoying ones lol. But I dont believe there is any blowby in this 3.1. It runs strong, has INCREDIBLE throttle response still, has never lost in a race (though, racing DOES suck because the damn tranny shifts so high but that's another thread). I had an old 3.1 w/ 240k on it and that thing ran top as well. But the vehicle consumes very little if any oil between changes. And I mean I could give maybe 50% throttle sometimes and the car takes off and you can feel the torque rush, whereas if I floor it it doesn't seem to have that "rush". How difficult is it to get to the fuel filters on these cars?
                        How could I tell if the ECU is shot?

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

This car is OBD1 right? If it is then take a paper clip and bend it in a U shape. Stick the paper clip into the top right 2 slots on the data link connector. Turn your key to the on position and this should inform you of any codes you have. You should get a code 12 also, that means the compuer is communicating. If you don't get a 12 then you could have a problem. but just having code 12 doesn't mean your computer is good though either. ECU's can be tricky to diagnose. As for the fuel filter it should be on a fuel line near the tank. It shouldn't be too hard to get to but it's probably rusty if it hasn't been changed in a while. If it hasn't been changed in a while it wouldn't be a bad idea to change it anyway - it's a regular maintenance item.

Comment

Ya it SHOULD be OBD1, I am not positive though. Now that I think of it, I had the fuel lines replaced, along with the pump and injectors I think. I am pretty sure it's not the filter :/

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

Bumping this old post...

My '93 3.1 MPFI behaves the same way as you guys described(noticed it recently when playing around). The fuel pump(7,000 miles on an OEM AC Delco replacement), nor filter(7K miles on it also), nor catalytic converter are to blame(no cat on the car to get clogged, I have an aftermarket exhaust). 60-70% throttle seems to be the optimal point for acceleration in its current sate. At this throttle level, I can slightly modulate the gas pedal and initiate shifts right around 4800-4900 indicated rpms and the car accelerates great like this(for what it is). 100% throttle = a lot of noise and much slower acceleration..shiftpoints at WOT occur at an indicated 5500rpms or so. The engine is north of 200,000 miles and runs perfectly otherwise(30-32mpg on the highway, doesn't use a drop of oil, etc.). I'm leaning towards valve float due to tired valvesprings being the culprit here.
                              Matt F.

TGP 1/4 mile times
                              http://photobucket.com/albums/y33/mfewtrail/
                              1990 TGP Coupe VIN Database

Comment

Working...
                              X