Timing chain and cam bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing chain and cam bearings

ok so im lookin at a new cam soon from the store and thought, well i might as well get a timing set while i am at it and have it torn down that much. so my question is, which set to buy? who makes em and what is considered the best one out there and the most HD that will work with my limited space. aparently i cant use a double roller, so thats out for now, until cnc guy and sappy can come up with something. oh and i guess i should say what engine/car this is on. its on an 02 pontiac gagt, 3400. is there any special easier way to take the cam out, or any tips or shortcuts i should know about.

also with the new bearings for the cam, IIRC i can use the 4.3 cam bearings...is that right? also for the roller lifters, should u use sealed power to just the regular delco ones, i can get them both for about the same price, but dang they are both expensive for just 12...oh well. then its on to getting the pushrods, but i already have a checker for that, so ill be good as soon as sappy says the custom rods are in the store. also does anyone know if sealed power, or any aftermarket makes better roller rockers with a more precise 1.6 ratio than GM? or should i just stick with stock right now. i dont want the cranes right now, because i am working with harland sharp to see if they can make a good one in a 1.65 maybe that wont need any modification to work...wish me luck on that one.

You can use 4.3L or SBC cam bearings. I dont know why you are replacing the roller lifters. They dont need to be replaced with roller cams. But if I were buying htem I would only buy the Delco ones. Crane rockers are not a direct bolt in but they are very simple to fit. They would be cheeper than the HS rockers.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

well im thinkin on sticking to the reg rockers, but i like HS and they could make ones that dont take any mod to work, i just dont like using the guide plates...but thats just me. im replacing the lifters because when i had my intake off at 160k mi i looked at them and they had some nice lines on them, a few did anyway, so im going with all new ones, not so cheap insurance i know, but itll work for me. up for dibs now if anyone wants to buy my old set

Comment

Well I have herd good and bar about HS. Thats all I will say about HS stuff.

And the reason you will want to use Crane rockers and guide plates if for adjustability.

Comment

ok so next question, should i look at the clevite 77 bearings due to me putting in a perf cam, or are they really that much better than stock. also any word on a better timing chain/gear set?

also i heard about a possible leakage issue with a center bearing, leakage or something like that

Comment

Well the cam is not a crucial high load area. GM bearings are really good bearings as is. Just dont buy cheep stuff and you will be fine.

Comment

yah i was thinking just stay GM...why not they have lasted me this long. i never cheap out on anything that has to do with my bab....i mean my car

Comment

Working...
              X