Intermittent Hot Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Hot Start

I have an intermittent hot start problem. 89 Cutlass, 3.1. Starts runs good cold and mostly hot. No spark when it won't start, wait 5-20 minutes starts normal. No SES light. Have been having 'Low Coolant' light. Tank level good. replaced coolent sensor. Any ideas??

Crank Shaft Position sensor. CPS. The 7x one. That or the ICM, but the CPS has failed every time on me and is a lot cheaper than the ICM. Don't get a replacement from autozone though, those are cheap crappy ones and fail within a year!

Should be around 28 or so bucks IIRC. Maybe less.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Intermittent Hot Start

Thanks for the reply. I got a CPS. I got the connector off, got the bolt out, but could not pull the sensor out. It spins around. Tried prying it out, bad idea. Broke some pieces off.
      I'm doing this from under the car? Don't have a lot of room to get my hand up there.
      Put the bolt and cable back on and it runs. Any 'tricks' I could try?

Thanks

Comment

It's just got that one bolt on the flange and an o-ring that holds it in there.
        I've gotten it by hand each time. On my car it has a huge 4spd auto and it's impossible to get from the underside since my transmission is in the way there. So I always jack it up, and reach through the tie-rod area (tight fit on your am) or reach between the control arm and the body. It should be easier on a 89 since the trans will be smaller.

Prying probably cocks the sensor to the side and likely won't get it out. Clean the area up well and make sure your hand isn't oily, and try to get a good grip on it and pull it straight out. Try twisting/rotating it to break the o-ring free. It might be heat sealed and a simple twist may set it free to pull out.

Let us know what's going on.
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Got her fixed!! Yea! Isaac thanks for help and support. Finally got the CPS out. It was cracked all the way around and swollen up. Probably why it would not come out. Used a pocket flat blade screwdriver as a wedge. Started to move and keep prying out.
          Car now starts great hot.
          Great web site, getting interesting in some performance improvements.

Comment

Working...
          X