rattle from engine maybe. timing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rattle from engine maybe. timing question

I've had a rattle for the last couple weeks. Occurs from 1500 to 1700 rpms under light to medium loads. Won't do it while in neutral. It has a sort of pulsating frequency to it that slows the higher the rpms get until it goes away. Like something that is spinning and rattling. Kinda hard to describe.

It's a brand new 3.4. The cam is a stock size replacement from comp-cams and has a 4 degree advance grind. Would that 4 degrees cause my timing to be too far advanced when I set it at 10?

I can't get ahold of the manufacturer today, but I'm tempted to go out and retard my timing a bit to see if that makes a difference.

I changed the base timing to 6-7 and it still rattles. I guess that rules out spark knock.

It seems like it's coming from the right side of the engine when I center my head over the console while driving.

Comment

Sounds like a worn timing chain or gears to me. Try using a timing light to see if its fluctuating.
      Last edited by 91z24build; 01-02-2007, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Might want to check the torque convertor bolts, or it could be the TC itself.
        -It is an auto, right?

Comment

Yep it's an auto. My SES light is coming on again too. I'm betting all I'll find is a code 13 again. I'm having it hooked up to a scanner next week and maybe find out if something is screwy. ( I know something is screwy actually, but what?)

Comment

Working...
          X