Burning coolant even worse after replacing heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning coolant even worse after replacing heads

As some of you know, I've replaced the heads and done the 3400 head swap on the 3100 block on my wagon. It had a blown head gasket when I got it, and after replacing every gasket in the upper engine, and many parts, I started it up only to find it blows more white smoke smelling of coolant than it did before I pulled the old heads.

A friend of mine asked me how clean I got the mating surface on the block, and the answer was that I couldn't get everything off with a razor bade but got it pretty good. He says that "good" isn't enought, it needs to be practically a mirror finish. He said that even buildup as thick as a piece of paper will allow coolant to slide under the gasket into the cylinders.

It's blowing huge clouds of white smoke when revved, almost enough to alert the local fire department. Can even paper thin buildup on the block mating surface cause that much coolant to get in, or could it be something more serious like an invisible water jacket crack?

The 3100 doesn't appear to be sleeved, is it?

Yes, a poorly cleaned surface even less than paper thick will allow water to pass threw.

Also how long did you let the car run, the exhaust may still have lots of coolant in it. Which I doubt is the case.
    1999 Grand Prix SE 3100
    1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 Ext cab. 5.2L
    1977 Dodge Power Wagon, Short bed, Fuel injected 360, 4spd, Dana 60's, Little Red Express bed.

Comment

I let it run several minutes a couple of times. It ran terrible each time, and the longer it ran the more smoke it blew. I'm tearing it down again to do it right. /sigh

Comment

a wire wheel on a drill works wonders

http://www.superdave81.com/3500/3500...20(Medium).jpg
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Working...
        X