No announcement yet.

Puffs black when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

torq455- did you disconnect the battery? if so you will have to start the whole process over again. its what used to happen to me.

Comment

94 z24, the iac has an o-ring and it does make a good seal, if not i'd have a higher idle and it'd run leaner. as for the pvc, no. as i stated at the beginning it puffs black, not blue.

85 305, all my sensors are reading good. i've done all the voltage checks for tps, map, iat, and ect. they are all normal. no codes and nothing shows up on the scanner. it's only when it's cold. check your map if you haven't yet. if it's bad you engine will run rich all the time.
      Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
      fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

Originally posted by 85_305 View Post
        Though, a mechanic has told me the TPS is shot. I dunno if he's lying or what?

Check the TPS for smooth voltage increase with a volt meter and you'll have your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by torq455 View Post
          85 305, all my sensors are reading good. i've done all the voltage checks for tps, map, iat, and ect. they are all normal. no codes and nothing shows up on the scanner. it's only when it's cold. check your map if you haven't yet. if it's bad you engine will run rich all the time.
          I have not checked my map yet. Is this what Carlspike is talking about, hooking the multimeter up to the TPS?

Originally posted by Carlspike View Post
          Check the TPS for smooth voltage increase with a volt meter and you'll have your answer.
          IOW, make sure it doesn't bounce all over the place (the electrical reading?)
          '93 Sunbird. 5spd, 3.1, it's fast. Oh, and 240k miles has proven lethal against Turbo Talons

I'm lurking occasionaly. It's tough because I'm usually too busy with the Army or my 5.0 Mustang. Which is for sale.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

fixed it. my new engine coolant temp sensor was bad. 65 degs in the garage and it read 7.2 degs so it gave the engine waaay to much gas. however, i'm still sure when it's cold it will still do it's chug thing for a short time.

i had a bad tps once. i knew when i had TCC lock in 2nd gear then later no TCC lock. got home and it read some voltage sometimes, but didn't effect how it ran. if it wasn't for the TCC acting up, i'd have never known the tps was bad.
            Andy

sigpic

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

I am getting TERRIBLE gas mileage, if that means anything? But somebody also told me it could be my coolant temp sensor. I am gonna look into that too. Thanks!
              '93 Sunbird. 5spd, 3.1, it's fast. Oh, and 240k miles has proven lethal against Turbo Talons

I'm lurking occasionaly. It's tough because I'm usually too busy with the Army or my 5.0 Mustang. Which is for sale.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

You should also be able to check your CTS with a volt meter. When you check the TPS you want to check for smooth voltage increase from closed throttle to open. You can check your CTS by checking voltage at different temps and making sure the values line up with what they should be. If you have a repair manual it can give you the exact procedures.

Comment

Well I am gonna do this in about five minutes. I will report my results in

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

OK! finally got it!! seems it was my coolant temp sensor reading too cold. i found this out when i got a new one and the prob got much worse. had a scanner and with the gargae about 65 degs, the coolant temp was 7 degs! got another one and it's been great for a week now!! whew! it's only been several weeks!
                    Andy

sigpic

Comment

So you're saying a faulty NEW sensor was to blame? If that aint about a bizzch.
                      Congrats.
                      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

thanks man! well apparently, the original sensor was going bad, but the faulty new one was worse and pointed me in the right direction. and may i say, END OF THREAD!
                        Andy

sigpic

Comment

Oh and for everybody's "FYI", I changed my TPS and the car runs pheonominal. I thoroughly enjoyed wiping the floor with a high '90's BMW 323 w/ my best friend in the car today

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

congrats!
                            Andy

sigpic

Comment

lol where is the idle adjusting screw
                              Ford Guy says to we " keeping up with that General Maintenance as you drive a gm?' I say to him well when you found on road dead tomorrow, I'll be in the next province.

Comment

it's on the side of the tb and hits the throttle lever.
                                Andy

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X