3.4 s10 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 s10 project

im going to be mounting a 3.4 out of a 94 camaro in a 1993 s10 ... has n e one been able to use a front wheel drive block in a rear wheel application....the problem i see is the starter is on the wrong side and it doesn't look like i can mount it on the opposite side of the fwd block .....my concern is i bought a 3400 from a friend that has diamond pistons that are .060 over and i don't want to have to machine my 3.4 block for .060 if i can avoid it

any wisdom would be great..
    thank you

Welcome to the site!

There are plenty of people using FWD blocks in RWD vehicles. Do you have an auto or manual tranny? With an auto (700R4), I don't think there is really much you need to do. With a manual, you will need to find a 2-pocket bellhousing to swap onto your tranny.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

im going to be using a manual trans . i have a borg t5 any ideas where i might find that bell housing .....im glad to be on here ...that acronym kinda kicked my ass lol.....i was thinking complicated

Comment

Here you go... http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...D-Bellhousings
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

As far as I know a bellhousing from a 2.2L with a manual trans will work as well.
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

The oil pan to frame clearance is the biggest obstacle with the FWD engine.
            Links:
            WOT-Tech.com
            FaceBook
            Instagram

Comment

that was one of the other questions i had .... i can use a 2.8 oil pan but the 3400 that i have has the bolts that go through the side of the oil pan .....will the 2.8 oil pan fit over those caps or will i have to use different main caps.....cuz if i have to re-do a line bore on that block i may as well use the 3.4 rwd block and have it punched out to .060 over

Comment

In a 3rd gen Fbody you can cut a notch out of the K member to get the stock aluminum pan to clear, not sure in a S10 though... you could always notch the oil pan as well, it would be pretty cheap to have a shop weld in some aluminum sheet once you get enough room.
                Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

im thinkin i may just make a tubular cross member and just get rid of the stock one . i was looking at my motor today and i dont think it would be that hard to mock up ..... but i may modify the pan to cuz i do have access to a tig welder

Comment

Working...
                  X