'86 S10 with hybrid 3.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '86 S10 with hybrid 3.1

My Blazer has be running out of fuel. It's intermittent. I doesn't spit back for fuel as in a vacuum leak but it will act as if it's running out of gas. You can floor it and it will just make the sucking sound but not a lean spit. I got it to idle last night and checked the fuel coming out of the TBI injectors. Just drips on the one injector and when the throttle is opened nothing comes out of the other injector.
    I started it up today and it ran fine. Totally intermittent. Fuel pump, oxygen sensor? Ideas?
    '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

I would be leaning more towards clogged fuel filter and then fuel pump if I had to take a stab at it, mostly because of how you described how the fuel comes out of the injectors and then it runs fine today. No sensor on that truck would cause the injectors to act like that, so save the $$$ on the O2, unless it hasn't been changed for a long time.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Thanks. I was wondering about the filter. When it acts up, its as if it running out of fuel(tank emtpy)
      '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

How does the pump sound when you turn the key on when it's acting up? If the pump sounds fine, but labored I would lean more towards the filter. It's certainly cheaper between that and the pump, which is also why I suggest checking it out first.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Don't overlook the regulator either.
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I haven't messed with TBI for a long time but check the fuel pressure when it's acting fine and when it's not.. that'll give you a little more insight into the problem.

I'd lean towards a fuel filter first, cheap and easy to change.
            Past Builds;
            1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
            1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
            Current Project;
            1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Working...
            X