Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can not get electricity to the distributor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can not get electricity to the distributor.

Happy New Year:

I am converting an MGB into a 3.4L V6.
    I have almost everything ready installed in the car, but I can not get electricity to the spark plugs cable.
    I have an HEI distributor with vacum advance, external coil. I have tray the coil from an S-10 and also a can coil but can not get electricity to the cables. The only electricity will be from the coil to the distributor on the thick cable at 12 volts.
    What esle can I do?
    Thanks.

Luis
    Goshen, KY

The other side of the coil needs grounded if it's getting power from the distributor. When the power stops flowing to the coil the magnetic field in the coil (think electromagnet) collapses and goes into the secondary windings (the ones that go to the distributor). You need a complete path for the electricity to flow, so if it's getting a signal from the distributor the other side needs a ground to complete the circuit.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I am traying to follow but I am getting lost. There are 2 wires coming from the distributor, one pink (+) that goes in the (+) side of the coil together with a (+) from the ignition switch. And a brown that I do understand goes in the other side of the coil amd from this one I can conect a wire to the Tach. The the big cable to the distributor.
      Were you recomend the ground.
      Thanks

Comment

You got the pink wire right. But there should be a white wire from the 4 pin module under the distributor cap that goes to the negative side of the coil.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

This white wire start were? I do not see any connector for an extra wire.
          Thanks

Comment

It should come from the module of the distributor.
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
            X