Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, some progress

Well, It's been a while.

Last weekend, my dad and I made a lot of progress on the Grand Prix. We have everything disassembled under the hood except for the motor mounts and disconecting the driveshafts from the transmission. This weekend we plan on pulling the engine/tranny set from the car. It's been long enough since I have been on here that I don't remember all the things that I need to do to make the swap work. For those of you who gave me suggestions and advice, I would like another list. For those of you who haven't followed my posts, I am trying to put a '00 3100 into a '88 Grand Prix. Basicly, all I have is the "new" engine. I plan on hooking up the original transmission, and for now, I plan on running the 2.8L ECM and injectors as well.

What parts are required to make this swap work (while still trying to use as little money as possible)?

Thank you in advance!
    1988 Grand Prix - project
    1999 Ford Explorer 4x4 - daily driver
    sigpic

any progress is good progress
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Grand Prix View Post
      Well, It's been a while.

Last weekend, my dad and I made a lot of progress on the Grand Prix. We have everything disassembled under the hood except for the motor mounts and disconnecting the drive shaft from the transmission. This weekend we plan on pulling the engine/tranny set from the car. It's been long enough since I have been on here that I don't remember all the things that I need to do to make the swap work. For those of you who gave me suggestions and advice, I would like another list. For those of you who haven't followed my posts, I am trying to put a '00 3100 into a '88 Grand Prix. Basically, all I have is the "new" engine. I plan on hooking up the original transmission, and for now, I plan on running the 2.8L ECM and injectors as well.

What parts are required to make this swap work (while still trying to use as little money as possible)?

Thank you in advance!
      The Big Secret to this work is making an Engine/Tranny R&R Plan that includes a Checklist and a few Dry Run Walk-Thrus that will give you a heads up at each and every stage of the process. If this work is to be done at home instead of in a large garage...Don't overlook things like the timing of the job so that you can accomplish everything in a reasonable time frame so your Neighbors don't dime the Cops and the County Inspectors. Be prepared to clean up spills as they develop and get anything loose or slippery removed or cleaned before you have any accidents. Think everything through ...long before you turn the first wrench if possible....and here is very important thing to do:

Get a Digital Camera and record absolutely everything you do for future reference and to double check how things must come off and go back on. Visit www.photobucket.com and set up a Free Account there is a recognizable nickname and then post your images and videos there for us all to see and evaluate. Seeing what you are Saying will help your friends here to help you out even more. Don't forget to prowl the Pontiac Forums, too...they will certainly have more "car specific" information that you crave to know right now that you may not find here.

It has been said that:

"No Man is a Failure... Who has Friends..."

If you have a few rare ones that you can trust...see if a few of the more alert and interested ones among them will act as Spotters for you. Having more than just a few pairs of hands during this job can smooth the way and improve the safety of each procedure. Be honest with the ones who volunteer as to how long this will take and demand their undivided attention. Rest and feed them Pizza when they get hungry and tired. Leave the Alcohol for later... or if you are smart...never...and leave all that for your Dad to decide if its appropriate or not. Bring the Old Man a Folding Chair to sit down on occasionally and humor him...let him rest and supervise every now and then... even if you DO know more than him.

Visit this part of the Forum and use the "Search this Forum" feature on the right hand side to seek information specific to your "Need to Know How... Need to Know NOW!" questions...and look at as many of these Swaps as you can to get the lay of the land as to how others managed there situations. What the men who reliably come here know how to do... would fill the Library of Congress...and your Terabyte HD with volumes of helpful information... Good Luck with the Swap!

Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 12-18-2009, 01:08 AM.

Comment

If you are using the stock tranny, why go through the hassle of pulling it out? Seems like more work and more parts you have to mess with.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by 60dgrzbelow0 View Post

"No Man is a Failure... Who has Friends..."

If you have a few rare ones that you can trust...see if a few of the more alert and interested ones among them will act as Spotters for you. Having more than just a few pairs of hands during this job can smooth the way and improve the safety of each procedure.
          ...but "Friends" like these Three Yo-Yos...do NOT fit the desirable profile:

Comment

Working...
          X