Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.8L exhaust leak, causing sluggish accleration?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
    Tuning a chip is usually best done in person, hence the reason I mentioned Dave. You can get a mail-order tune from Ben, or several other people, but they may still not be ideal. It will be better than your stock tune obviously, but there is a good chance it won't be as good as having it done in person. Granted, it will probably cost more to have it done in person, as the guy is actually logging the engine and making adjustments to the chip in the process, so you may end up spending a day fine tuning it all.
    ^ all very true. I just said what I said before because you CAN drop in the new engine and it CAN run provided everything is all hooked up properly. I wouldn't let the tune alone keep me from doing an engine swap but I wouldn't completely forget about tuning it either. It will probably make a bit more power and get better fuel economy when tuned properly. Compared to the state of your current engine I would say the 3100 on a 2.8 tune can't run any worse!

Comment

Originally posted by WrathOfSocrus View Post
      ^ all very true. I just said what I said before because you CAN drop in the new engine and it CAN run provided everything is all hooked up properly. I wouldn't let the tune alone keep me from doing an engine swap but I wouldn't completely forget about tuning it either. It will probably make a bit more power and get better fuel economy when tuned properly. Compared to the state of your current engine I would say the 3100 on a 2.8 tune can't run any worse!
      Ha Ha, that's true.
      1988 Grand Prix - project
      1999 Ford Explorer 4x4 - daily driver
      sigpic

Comment

Like I said in the other thread! Thanks a mill, man!

With all the work I'll be puttin' into this car, it'll be a killer sleeper.

SofaKing, If you ever read this thread again: The next time you see my Grand Prix, It's going to be HOT!!!!!

Thanks again!
        sigpic

Comment

ive been reading and i only post now because you address me....

beauty is in the eye of the beholder... if youre happy spending this much time on this, have a blast... get lots of beer and make sure you have everything you need.

but honestly if you want help finding a car for less than this is going to cost... (the engine work alone let alone the body and interior) i have a few cars lined up but theyre all here in AB Canada. Im shopping for a winter car. and honestly i might buy a new summer car and call my Z34 a winter clunker.

the only reasons i think this isnt worth it (and this is just my opinion, we all have assholes and opinions, right?) is that every aspect of this vehicle needs attention. thats all... i can understand putting this amount of work into a car, just not this one. im sorry. if i sound like an ass, its because things like this irritate me. to me, i see this as a complete waste. the car is miled up, old, beat up (inside and out) and the motor thats in it has quit. TO ME this spells write off... and time to pull the cover over the lights and call the tow truck and the junkyard. if you had a TGP i could understand all this, if you had a GTP i could... if it was even the sport model with the factory body kit i could... but not like this. its like grooming a coyote for the dog show, you could start off so much farther ahead than you are now.
          buuuuuuuut before i get kicked outa here for a week, you make sure you send me a link to pictures of this when you get done... regardless of what i have said, i would still like to see it when its finished.

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

can you do me one thing in all of the niceness in the whole wide world? if you do i will NOT respond to it, nor will i if you dont... either way you win and im done with this till i get a PM from you saying its done and sending me a link to or some pictures... but i would like you to break down the costs of making your car look and drive decent enough to pick a girl up for a first date.
            i want the cost of getting the motor, getting it in, all the extra parts and fluids... shipping whatever. plus the cost of getting the body straightened out, and the cost of making the interior up to par... nothing fancy like complete custom shit with a boomin system or anything... just to factory. except of course your engine swap. Please. im honestly curious.

Comment

^ i seriously doubt brad would ban you for actually putting it into adult words like that. when you put something related to people being worthless/helpless because they like their cars so much they wouldn't get rid of them, THATS when i expect a mod to put their foot down....

but i'm not mod, so take my word for what its worth...
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

IAC is free at the junkyard. it fits in your pocket!!

-i mustve missed a page when i came back to read the update... hahaha oops.

Comment

Thank you SofaKing, I will gladly send you pictures when I'm done. I will let you know now though, I wasn't planning on makining it ready for the car show. More of a sleeper-type car. "Don't let the dents fool ya, this thing's got balls!"

I do want to replace the RH front fender (it's really bad). I've located one for $60. I also want to attempt to pop out the dents that I can. I do want it to look "semi-respectable".

A dash cover, new driver's seat w/ seat cover, and some new fabric for the door panels will be about all I'll do for the interior.

The whole swap from a boat-anchor 2.8L to a 3100 is going to run me anywhere from $450-500. I didn't realize there was so much stuff that had to be modified to make this swap work.

Anyway, I will gladly send you the breakdown of my project expenses and pictrues of it after it is all done.
                  sigpic

Comment

Is there anything on the list of parts that need to be modified/replaced that can be skipped or bypassed for the time being? I don't have the money required to do all of those at the moment.
                    When I bought the motor, I was under the impression that it would drop in with little or no modifications needed. I would have liked to know about all these little things before hand.

Basicly, is there anyway I can make this swap work without all those parts being replaced/modified? Thanks!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by 2.8 Grand Prix View Post
                      Is there anything on the list of parts that need to be modified/replaced that can be skipped or bypassed for the time being? I don't have the money required to do all of those at the moment.
                      When I bought the motor, I was under the impression that it would drop in with little or no modifications needed. I would have liked to know about all these little things before hand.

Basicly, is there anyway I can make this swap work without all those parts being replaced/modified? Thanks!
                      I would like to start this engine swap soon. I need to know what all is absolutely required to make this work.
                      Thanks!
                      sigpic

Comment

• if i was you, i would take transmission too with motor then for that road, then its got less miles on it than the one you have. if you put a newer motor on an old trans whos to say how long its going to take the abuse?

Comment

• problem with that is that the newer trannies use pressure control solenoids instead of vacuum modulators...

that and i think the malibus used a 4t40e...
                          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                          Latest nAst1 files here!
                          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

• The motor I got didn't come with a tranny. I don't have enough money to get a newer one. I think it will stand up for a while. I don't even have enough money to get this swap going in the right direction. I didn't realize that there were so many parts that needed to modified or replaced. For right now, I just want to get the motor in and everything hooked up.
                            sigpic

Comment

• i see i see... hmmm sounds like alot of trouble.

Comment

• what parts? you WILL need motor mounts for sure, and a custom downpipe for sure, you won't be able to drive without that, you'll also have to splice the injectors to make them work.......fuel lines, and I'm sure a few other things that I cannot remember right now

*these are off of a jbody going from a 3.1 to a 3x00 motor, but I would think that its the same with a prix with a 2.8*

EDIT: when I was typing this, it was on page 10, you guys work freakin fast!

Comment

Working...
                                X