Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.8L exhaust leak, causing sluggish accleration?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want a car that I can drive arround town and that will get me to work. Right now, the exhaust is preventing me from driving it around too much.

I would just like someone to suggest how I can check spark with the tools and money I have. Thanks!
    1988 Grand Prix - project
    1999 Ford Explorer 4x4 - daily driver
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Grand Prix View Post
      Thanks! The previous owner told me that the #2 cylinder is the one he thinks is bad. I haven't seen this yet (can't get hood open), but he says #2 doesn't even have a spark plug in it right now. Pretty Dumb huh?
      Do you think he is full of sh!+ or is he on to something?
      HOLY.....SHIT......DUDE.....

why hasn't this come up before?

i've told you how to get the hood open, so do so, take pics and we'll tell you just how fucked you are...
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Ok, I will! As soon as it quits raining!
        sigpic

Comment

where are you located at 2.8?

Comment

here are some pics, just in case...
            Attached Files
            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
            Latest nAst1 files here!
            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I would just like someone to suggest how I can check spark with the tools and money I have. Thanks!
              Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
              Pull each plug wire (one by one so you don't mix them up) and put a spark plug in it and stick it on something metal on the engine and have someone crank the engine. Watch for a spark to jump the gap on the spark plug. If you see one, unplug the plug, put the wire back on it's spark plug, unplug the next one, plug the spare plug in it and repeat. Also look to see if your spark plug wires are crossfiring/leaking. Pop the hood when it is dark outside (the darker the better) and run the engine and look for sparks jumping out of the wires. If you see any, that wire is bad and needs to be replaced.

(stupid "message too short" error...)
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
              Originally posted by Jay Leno
              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Ok,

First off, I live in Iowa. It stopped raining now, but I haven't gotten the hood open yet.

Next, THANKS for the pics robertisaar, those help greatly. I have already decided that once I do get the hood open, I'm goin' for that "muscle car" look and getting hood pins LOL. (I'm basicly trying to find something functional but also adding to the stupidity that is the dented up '88 Grand Prix).

And last, thanks again, pocket-rocket, I will follow those tips exactly. I am just wanting to get this car going as soon as possible.
                sigpic

Comment

at this point and with that many miles, you might as well go ahead and use hood-pins... unfortunately early W's, regardless of condition or rarity, are pretty much worthless when it comes to selling them, so you might as well do whatever you want to it and have fun in the process.
                  Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

I'd put roof racks on the hood and strap down a spare tire on it.
                    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Thanks, I am having fun.
                      I don't know how it is in MI, but here, if I did ever want to sell it, there are a lot of Mexicans around who would buy it for $300 in its current state. LOL
                      sigpic

Comment

300 is cheap. For a driveable car that can get you from point A to possibly point B 5 days a week (20 miles or more each day) is valued at atleast $500.00. Reconsider your price when selling. You might get more than one may think.
                        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Thanks, I am having fun.
                          I don't know how it is in MI, but here, if I did ever want to sell it, there are a lot of Mexicans around who would buy it for $300 in its current state. LOL
                          thats the problem, thats about anybody would ever give you for that car. even if i ever get the monte back into perfect shape with brand-new EVERYTHING, it will NEVER be worth more than 2 grand...

just how it is. if you like these cars(i know i do), that means awesome deals.
                          Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

1988GTU, I don't think so, but that's a thought. It would be functional, plus it would be stupid, a win/win!

I do have a set of brand new roof clearance lights (like what 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have) that i was planning on putting on a truck I used to have. Maybe I'll put them on this thing! This thing has a heavy duty alternator on it, so I could have a ton of electrical crap on it and still go down the road.
                            sigpic

Comment

Yah, even though this is my first W- body, I have always liked them. My best friend has a 1995 Grand Prix sedan that has 235,000 miles on it. After my old car crapped out, I was going to ask him how much he wanted for it, but then I found this coupe. It has some dents in it, but not anything that cant be repaired. Plus, how many 21 year old cars in the midwest do you know of that is 98% rust free? A little on the roof, but thats it!
                              sigpic

Comment

its a 20 year old base model car with a dead motor that was running on 6 cylinders that had a leaky exhaust... maybe this is a sign... just bury the old girl and kiss the 'custom two tone' paint goodbye forever

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

Working...
                                X