oil pressure prime tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pressure prime tool

I know this has been talked about in previous threads, but I think this is the best and least expensive answer to the 60* engine oil prime question.
    Many years ago the prime question came up with lifter/cam replacement and not wanting to start the engine "dry". The answer was a later model S-10 2.8 distributor.
    Remove the upper plate, rotor mounting flanges, any centrifical weights/plates, etc. Once everything is removed, the shaft will fit in a 1/2" drill chuck. Next is the hard part - the lower gear. I had the gear from the distributor "de-toothed" on a lathe, but the same could be accomplished with a grinder or belt sander.
    In the attached pics, the relief channel in the distributor housing marked with a "D" casting (below the O-ring) is the lifter galley channel for the 1-3-5 cylinder lifters. Without the housing in place, a huge hole is left open at the back of the galley, and the rear lifter set won't get proper pressure.
    A washer was welded to the upper shaft to aid in installing and removal of the unit during the prime.
    Attached Files

I gutted the housing of my old distributor and cut the top off on a lathe and bored the hole out in the middle. Essentially I just made a plug with a hole to pass an extension and a socket through to turn the pump with a drill. Same effect in the end.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I just use lots of assembly lube and cross my fingers.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
        I just use lots of assembly lube and cross my fingers.
        Amen brother
        sigpic
        94 Firebird 3.4 DD
        252000mi. All original

Comment

-Pull your ignition fuse and fuel pump fuse

-Crank starter for a few moments, stop, repeat a few times

-Replace fuses

Motor is primed!
          SpudFiles
          Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
          Theopia
          Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
          3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

Originally posted by PCGUY112887 View Post
            -Pull your ignition fuse and fuel pump fuse

-Crank starter for a few moments, stop, repeat a few times

-Replace fuses

Motor is primed!

And unless you used lots and lots of assembly lube the damage is done.

I made my priming tool from a stripped down dizzy also.
            87 3.4 4x4 blazer
            3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

Originally posted by neo71665 View Post
              And unless you used lots and lots of assembly lube the damage is done.

I made my priming tool from a stripped down dizzy also.

And why is that? Still turning the motor at very low RPM's.
              SpudFiles
              Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
              Theopia
              Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
              3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

The Whole point of priming the engine is to get the oil to fill up all the galleys and pumping before you ever turn the engine over. I don't care if you turn the engine over by hand you still risk dry metal on metal contact and run the chance of ruining something. With (any kind) the priming tool all you are turning the oil pump and building up pressure. Nothing else in the engine ever turns over before there is oil everywhere that its supposed to be first.
                87 3.4 4x4 blazer
                3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

Agreed. On a brand new engine there is a lot of empty air space in all the galleys that need to fill up with oil before pressure will begin to build. You can feel it when you begin to prime a new motor.
                  1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                  1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                  Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

+ a distributor plug from Dave I got at the meet= my new priming tool. Just had to take the plug apart and bore out the hole in the center some.
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                    Originally posted by Jay Leno
                    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

$10? thats not bad... how much did dave's dizzy plug cost?
                      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                      Latest nAst1 files here!
                      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Nothing. It was in a spare parts bin he brought in case anyone needed misc. items. The deal from Harbor Freight on its own sucked and with the big open space under the "plug" that came with it wouldn't let it build enough pressure to oil the top end. With the dizzy plug in there (like it should be) it should have no problem But yeah, before last night, I was part of the "use most of the bottle of assembly lube and cross your fingers" club, lol. I haven't had a chance to try this sucker out, and hopefully I won't have to for a while.
                        Last edited by pocket-rocket; 08-28-2009, 04:56 PM.
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

i used an old oil pump driveshaft, welded a 1/4'' 6'' flexible socket extension, and i used a high speed drill. easy few mins and it was primed!
                          [SIGPIC]
                          12.268@117... 11's to come!
                          turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
                          ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

Originally posted by neo71665 View Post
                            The Whole point of priming the engine is to get the oil to fill up all the galleys and pumping before you ever turn the engine over. I don't care if you turn the engine over by hand you still risk dry metal on metal contact and run the chance of ruining something. With (any kind) the priming tool all you are turning the oil pump and building up pressure. Nothing else in the engine ever turns over before there is oil everywhere that its supposed to be first.
                            Exactly Right...

Please visit my photo-bucket site to view my design/parts list and images of a practical and inexpensive (fully sealing) Oil Pump Priming Tool for use on 60* V6 Engines:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

I got a chance to use my prime tool deal (joy...) With my DeWalt drill with a rated speed of 2500 RPMs I got 67 psi on a bone cold engine with new bearings and it took about 7 seconds from the time I stopped the drill to the time my gauge hit 0 psi.
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                              X