I've cracked 2 pushrod guides now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've cracked 2 pushrod guides now!

So, I have now crakced two pushrod guides since I have installed my roller rockers.
    I dont believe I've done anything wrong as there is no way to adjust any of the associated parts.
    The pushrods do seem to rest against the guides just barely, but as I said, I dont see any way to adjust this.

Can I prevent this? Are there stronger, thicker pushrode guides out there?

See pics...

Cracked guide:

And the result:

..............................................1989 Chevrolet Beretta Euro GTU
    .........................The most complete Euro Coversion outside of the European states

If those are 1.6 ratio, you need to grind the guides in the middle of the fork to prevent the pushrod from binding against the guide. That has to be the problem since that is the only way it will put stress on the guide itself. It shouldn't take much grinding to clearance for the pushrod through. The rod should rest on the sides only, not the middle.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

It does appear that is the only solution. I will get on it today!

.........................The most complete Euro Coversion outside of the European states

Comment

This happened to me even with ground down slots. The problem turned out to be a cam lobe wiped itself out and i had excessive clearence. I swapped in a comp 260-H and started using tappet friendly synthetic (amsoil 10-40) and i rev it to 6500 all the time not one problem yet.

Also, there should be adjustability in the system. Are you using the 2.8 studs? If not you will not be able to properly set your lifter pre-load........

Comment

With the rockers he has he couldn't use the 2.8 studs, he had to use the included ones.

And why can't you adjust lifter preload without 2.8 studs? Its called valve lashing, its simple, find Zero lash on all the rockers then add 1.25 to 1.5 turns preload. Or less depending on your setup.

I doubt he has a cam lobe issue since this has happened on now, 3 different cylinders, if it was the same one over and over again... ok MAYBE, but three different ones, I doubt it.
          Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 06-09-2009, 12:27 PM.

Got Lope?
          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
            With the rockers he has he couldn't use the 2.8 studs, he had to use the included ones.

And why can't you adjust lifter preload without 2.8 studs? Its called valve lashing, its simple, find Zero lash on all the rockers then add 1.25 to 1.5 turns preload. Or less depending on your setup.

I doubt he has a cam lobe issue since this has happened on now, 3 different cylinders, if it was the same one over and over again... ok MAYBE, but three different ones, I doubt it.
            This is what i am saying. You HAVE to use the 2.8 studs unless you have some very long pushrods or the valvetrain geometry is way off. Or maybe your saying he has the smaller rocker mounts with the 8mm threads, in that case im not entirly sure what he should do but i know a few jbody guys bottomed out the nuts before they got proper preload. I dont remember the amount of turns i put on mine however they were perfect. The last time i set the lash the motor ran the best it ever did and thats because i measured the pre-load via a machinist digi depth gauge. I also doubt the wiped cam on 3 areas, but for one person to have quite a few problems to myself that has had none there has to be somthing different. Try grinding the guides more, and also i used the 3.1 pushrods they worked great for me.

Comment

I took them out and put the stock rockers back in.
              I was tired of dealing with it. I ground down the guides very sufficiently and still had some problem. This pain in the ass was not worth the few extra horse that I didn't even get since the damn car would not run right as it was. I just swapped back in the stockers and will go drive the car now.

Comment

Use a washer under the stock nut to give you the proper torque on the roller tip rockers.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                X