L82 wont start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L82 wont start!

Ok, so this is my first post here, and forgive me for any ignorance i show, as i know next to nothing about pushrod style engines, or v6's at all for that matter (i drive a subaru...)

anyway, my girlfriend's car is dead. Its a 1995 Chevy Lumina with the 3100 (L82) SFI engine. She was driving down the road and suddenly the engine just stalled. had to tow it back home, and it hasnt started on its own since.

at first i thought it was the ignition control module (ICM), but all coils are sparking, so it isnt that. Then we sprayed carb cleaner in the intake hose an the engine started and ran as long as we were spraying (albeit very roughly).

now im thinking it must be fuel system related... what pressure should the fuel be at the rail for this engine? i hooked up a pressure tester an it read a little over 40psi. if this is healthy, im out of ideas... could all the injectors go bad simultaneously? could it be a fuel pressure regulator? or is it the fuel pump?

any help is appreciated! thanks
    -Kevin

anybody have any ideas?

Comment

The most common problem with the L82, LG8, and LA1 V6's is a leaking lower intake manifold gasket which leaks coolant into the crankcase. Check the coolant and oil. If you see anything that looks like a milkshake from either point then the bottom-end might be fubar'ed. Although in this case the engine is usually seized and can't be turned over. It's worthwhile to check for anyways.

You're fuel pressure is bang on. 43.5 psi was the norm for GM untill sometime after 2000. It's unlikely all the injectors would fail at once. Check the fuses if you haven't already.
      Last edited by Azrael; 12-22-2008, 02:53 AM.
      1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

X2 on the injectors not failing all at the same time. Check all fuses, connectors and grounds. You can pull the connector from an injector to see if you have power to one side of the injector when the key is on. If so, you can use a noid light across the connector to verify that the ECM is firing the injectors (the ECM grounds the other side of the injector to complete the circuit). If it isn't firing the injectors, one of several things could be wrong including a bad connection, the blown fuse for the ECM, bad ECM or the ECM is not be getting a reference signal from the ICM.

BTW where are you located?
        MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
        '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
        http://www.tcemotorsports.com
        http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael View Post
          The most common problem with the L82, LG8, and LA1 V6's is a leaking lower intake manifold gasket which leaks coolant into the crankcase. Check the coolant and oil. If you see anything that looks like a milkshake from either point then the bottom-end might be fubar'ed. Although in this case the engine is usually seized and can't be turned over. It's worthwhile to check for anyways.

You're fuel pressure is bang on. 43.5 psi was the norm for GM untill sometime after 2000. It's unlikely all the injectors would fail at once. Check the fuses if you haven't already.
          i had seen the leaking gasket problem from looking around on here... but im pretty sure if that was the case the engine wouldnt have started on starter fluid, and probably wouldn't turn over at all... ill go check the fuses right now, hadnt thought of that...

Originally posted by CNCguy
          X2 on the injectors not failing all at the same time. Check all fuses, connectors and grounds. You can pull the connector from an injector to see if you have power to one side of the injector when the key is on. If so, you can use a noid light across the connector to verify that the ECM is firing the injectors (the ECM grounds the other side of the injector to complete the circuit). If it isn't firing the injectors, one of several things could be wrong including a bad connection, the blown fuse for the ECM, bad ECM or the ECM is not be getting a reference signal from the ICM.

BTW where are you located?
          ill see what i can do testing the connectors...

i am located in santa maria, CA... just filled in my location on my profile

Comment

is the fuel pump turning on at all? When you turn the key to the ON position (but not actually starting it), can you hear the fuel pump kick on? Do you hear the whine of it coming from the back of the car?

The fuel pump should kick on and run for about 5 seconds, then shut back off. It only runs all the time if the car is actually running.

Check to see if the pump is turning on at all. The next thing that I would do is go ahead and replace the fuel filter. Friend of mine just had a stalling problem and it was a clogged filter.
            Taylor
            1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
            1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
            1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
            1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
            "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

had the same EXACT problem happen with my car last year(1995 Pontiac Grand Am GT w/ a L82 3100). Turned out being the fuel pump. Replaced the whole entire unit and it started up just fine. Ended up replacing the fuel filter and the relay up front for the fuel. Prolly wasnt necessary but i took the precautious steps and did it anyway. Havnt had any problems wit it since. Good luck man and hope this helps. Let me know how it goes

Comment

Agreed, check the fuel pump. This left me stranded in my old GP at a Jack n the Box drive through, motor died and I was able to restart it but only for a moment until it died again.
                SpudFiles
                Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
                Theopia
                Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
                3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

The local shop was able to revive the fuel pump in my coworker's dodge by hitting the fuel tank with a hammer. It was back in the shop the next day...
                  '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
                  '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
                  '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
                  '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

ok, i think iv traced the problem to a faulty fuel pump... and have been looking around for a replacement...

has anyone tried the TREperformance brand oem replacement? its the best deal (even better than some of the ebay ones), but i dont want to put a pump in that will fail in 10k miles or something

Comment

honestly, ive never heard of that brand. I picked up one made by Airtex?? anyway, i picked it from the local autozone for about $300. prolly coulda got away with replacing the pump and the strainer but i opted to jus replace the entire unit. Any who, its been well over a year and i still havent had an issue wit it. Seems like you narrowed it down to the culprit. Apologies for not really answering your question bout the brand....but hopefully you get evrything tightened up and workin fine. Good luck bro

Comment

I also think it is the fuel pump,thats how mine went out on my olds,time to put a gauge on the rail,that will tell you right away if thats it.fuel rail is what I ment.

Comment

im pretty sure its fuel pump related too... so i went ahead and got that TRE fuel pump, ill let you guys know how it goes when i get it installed...

Comment

In your first post you said you had 40 psi of fuel pressure. That is normal so how can it be your fuel pump is the reason for the no start? You said you have spark, so my quess would be either you have a mechanical problem or maybe a camshaft sensor problem and your injectors are not cycling.

Comment

the fuel pressure hit 43 when the key was turned to on, but then when i tried to turn the starter it dropped to the low 30s...

Comment

Working...
                              X