2000 Malibu 3.1 V6 - Radiator fan won't turn on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, quick update:

The new ECM didn't fix the problem. I did come across this though, seems like it might be the problem I am having: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4065850AA81UMn

Have seen this before on Malibu, Impala, Oldsmobile, and Buick full size in those years. One good place to check is the radiator cooling and condenser fans. They are two fans behind the radiator and sold as a complete assembly. What you usually find is that one of the fan motors has gone bad and is either shorting out, or turning slower and arcing inside the motor. What this does is put a voltage surge and static into the electrical system that the computer cannot handle. It causes the GM computers on these cars to go haywire. Causes the exact problems that you are describing and sometimes different symptoms such as AC compressor going off and temp guage suddenly reading either totally hot, or totally cold when that is not hte case. Turning off the car often resets it for a bit and in the case of the ac compressor and some other symptoms removing the battery or power to the computer for 10 minutes or so causes it to often work fine for a day or so. However the cooling fan motor being defective means that it will soon do it again, often in a few minutes of drive time. We have changed out many of these cooling fan assemblies. I know that you mentioned the fan inside not working, but that is not the fan that is defective. It is only a symptom of the problem. GM has had tons of problems iwth this very thing and if you read the forums on Impala and Malibu in particular you will see all sorts of attempt to correct this that usually involve changing computers, etc. Computer is normally not defective. It is simply unable to handle the voltage surge and static from the bad cooling fan. The cooling fans are most often to blame and because even the defective cooling fan motor often continues to run (though at a reduced speed) it is usually completely overlooked. Because there are two fans at the radiator, even with one still running the motor usually won't overheat unless severe hot weather. that is why often folks never even look at that for the problem. I bet that if you have the radiator fan assemblies checked you will find one of them bad. Sold as complete assemblies from the dealer and just over 200 bucks if memory serves. As far as I know cannot buy individual motors or parts but only the entire assembly. After replacing, if they are bad, be sure and remove power from the computer for 30 minutes to clear out the stored problems and it should work good. There are many other electrical problems with those cars as well, but we have found that this particular problem has caused almost all the "computer or wiring" related problems that we have seen with these cars as other than that they are relatively dependable in use. Good luck regardless and hope you get it fixed soon.

Given this, I ordered a completely new fan assembly including new fan motors. I will install this weekend and report back. I've been driving the car around with just the passenger side fan running and it's not overheating at all. I could probably drive around forever like this, but the problem really gets to me. I just want to fix it!
    1992 3000GT VR4

--Completely rebuilt 5/06-4/07. Everything new. For a list see: http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=372579
    --First time on dyno: 364AWHP@16psi with a 10.3AFR (now tuned at 11.4-11.6 with timing control, time for another dyno run soon)
    --Mods: 13gs and stuff

Comment

Dang.. you know this thread is now officially a good one. Thanks so much for the updates... it's really quite educational!!

Comment

Update: Problem finally fixed!

The new fan assembly fixed the problem. The driver's side motor was bad. Classic bad electric motor symptoms. Turned the fan by hand once I got the old assembly out and the motor was completely shot. I also noticed the fuse was half burned out. Only a hair of metal left between the two terminals to complete the circuit. Probably caused by the bad motor shorting out and frying the fuse.

Installed the new fan assembly and new fuse, and both fans now run like they should. Thank you everyone for all of your help, very much appreciated!

Now a new problem, I am getting a check engine light, code P0449. Everytime I clear it, it comes back. Ugh, it's a never ending battle lol. Anyone famliar with this code?
        1992 3000GT VR4

--Completely rebuilt 5/06-4/07. Everything new. For a list see: http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=372579
        --First time on dyno: 364AWHP@16psi with a 10.3AFR (now tuned at 11.4-11.6 with timing control, time for another dyno run soon)

Comment

Another update on the P0449 code:

I searched the forum and found it is for a solenoid for the charcoal canister in the rear of the car near the gas tank. I jacked up the car, and the wires going to the solenoid were cut. Looks like I might of ran over something that went up there and cut the wires. I spliced them back together, and all is ok now. Car runs great, no check engine lights, finally ready for the job of being me new daily driver.

Thanks again everyone for your input, much appreciated.
          1992 3000GT VR4

Comment

Working...
          X