Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Malibu 3.1 V6 - Radiator fan won't turn on

Hi all,

I recently bought a 2000 Malibu V6 and just did the LIM gasket job (see this thread: http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...&highlight=lim).

I'm now having a problem with the driver side radiator fan not turning on. I understand these engines tend to run hot, and both fans usually kick in at a higher temp. For some reason, I can never get both fans to run together, even with the A/C on.

Today, I replaced all three fan relays, coolant temp sensor, and even replaced the thermostat again. The passenger side fan is the only fan I see turning on. Funny thing is, if I manually trip the relays, both fans will turn on (so both fan motors are good), although they never kick in together when the car is running.

As a test, I parked the car and held the RPMs at 3k until the coolant gauge hit close to the red, and the light dinged and came on indicating the car is in the "danger zone". This process took about a half an hour. The entire time the only fan that was running was the passenger side fan, even with the a/c on. The car didn't spew any coolant (i finally have the system bled properly), however I just can't get both fans to run together. The only one I see running is the passenger side fan.

Any help or input anyone can provide is much appreciated. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by SkortchGT; 08-02-2008, 07:01 PM.
    1992 3000GT VR4

--Completely rebuilt 5/06-4/07. Everything new. For a list see: http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=372579
    --First time on dyno: 364AWHP@16psi with a 10.3AFR (now tuned at 11.4-11.6 with timing control, time for another dyno run soon)
    --Mods: 13gs and stuff

ultimately you need the ECM to command both fans on. both fans do work, circuit must be good, suspect ECM problem.

i do ask though, have you ever seen both fans actually work? has the car been over-heating lately?

Comment

Originally posted by IanSzgatti View Post
      ultimately you need the ECM to command both fans on. both fans do work, circuit must be good, suspect ECM problem.

i do ask though, have you ever seen both fans actually work? has the car been over-heating lately?
      I was thinking about an ECU/ECM problem before I went to bed last night, since like you said the ciruit seems to be good. The car has never overheated on me. Shouldn't both fans turn on if the A/C is turned on?
      1992 3000GT VR4

--Completely rebuilt 5/06-4/07. Everything new. For a list see: http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=372579
      --First time on dyno: 364AWHP@16psi with a 10.3AFR (now tuned at 11.4-11.6 with timing control, time for another dyno run soon)

Comment

Yes, they should both be on under the conditions you talking about. You need to have live data to see what's happening, or you need to identify the correct pins on the ECM and verify you have signal.

Comment

did you put these fans on yourself or did they come with the car?? If you did it yourself, like i did, you could wire them in series, so when the first fan comes on, the other one has no choice but to come on..

I hadnt thought about it but as hot as it gets here in New Orleans.. maybe I need to have two fans... but in Canada, I am not too sure you need two fans... unless the car came that way, of course..

Comment

Thanks for the info. Where are the ECUs located on these cars?

Looks like I'll be needing the actual dealer service manuals other then this junk Chilton manual I have in order to figure out which pins are which.

The fans on the car are the stock original fans.
            1992 3000GT VR4

Comment

Did you check and clear all stored DTCs? I would do this regardless if the SES light is on or off.

Your second fan won't turn on until about 232*F. The first one kicks on at about 223*F.
              Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

Originally posted by sprucegagt View Post
                Did you check and clear all stored DTCs? I would do this regardless if the SES light is on or off.

Your second fan won't turn on until about 232*F. The first one kicks on at about 223*F.
                I didn't check any codes yet, the car isn't throwing any CELs or SESs. I only have scan tools and dataloggers for OBDI Mitsubishis. I'll be buying a GM OBDII scan tool this week.

The only fan that I see running is the passengar side fan. Funny thing is, this fan turns on within 2-5 minutes after I start the car (when the car is no where near 223*F).

This problem is really tricky. I have a re-man ECM on the way as well to see if this will fix the problem or not.
                1992 3000GT VR4

Comment

If you have the A/C on or you have certain stored DTCs, then that fan will come on early. These codes will store without the SES light coming on. I really think you need to check your codes first before bothering with another ECM. You may be wasting your money.

I'm speaking from experience on this. My coolant temp sensor went bad in my 2000 Grand Am. As a result the temp gauge went to 100*f (dead), 1 radiator fan turned on and NO SES light. I changed the sensor and it still didn't fix the problem. Decided to check for DTCs and found 2 stored codes. One was for an intermittent coolant sensor reading. Immediately upon clearing it, my temp gauge returned to normal and the radiator fan turned off.
                  Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

Originally posted by sprucegagt View Post
                    If you have the A/C on or you have certain stored DTCs, then that fan will come on early. These codes will store without the SES light coming on. I really think you need to check your codes first before bothering with another ECM. You may be wasting your money.

I'm speaking from experience on this. My coolant temp sensor went bad in my 2000 Grand Am. As a result the temp gauge went to 100*f (dead), 1 radiator fan turned on and NO SES light. I changed the sensor and it still didn't fix the problem. Decided to check for DTCs and found 2 stored codes. One was for an intermittent coolant sensor reading. Immediately upon clearing it, my temp gauge returned to normal and the radiator fan turned off.
                    No kidding, I just ordered an ODBII scan tool I'll be picking up from Advance Auto after work this afternoon. I already ordered the ECM. I can always return it though, Advance usually takes anything back.

I still think it's weird that the other fan won't turn on when I turn the A/C on, although a stored code may be causing that to happen as well.
                    1992 3000GT VR4

Comment

My temp gauge has always worked though, so this is a weird problem I am having.
                      1992 3000GT VR4

Comment

Quick update on this.

I bought and OBDII scanner. No codes were present, active, or stored. I have a new ECM I will be installing this weekend to see if it fixes the problem. If not, I'll return it and begin to troubleshoot wiring. I can't see any problems with the wiring though as the circuit seems to be good as previously mentioned.

I just hope I can get to it this weekend. My finace and I are getting married on 10/18/08, so much to do on the weekends it's crazy.
                        1992 3000GT VR4

Comment

your getting married, so a temp problem should be the least of your problems... HA HA HA!!!!

that aside, a bad ground or resistance in the circuit could cause the computer to get false info... despite the fact you've tripped the relays and seen them both working... thing is, at least you know then which side of the circuit to look on....
                          all THAT aside, i think your EMC will solve your problem.. so yeah...thats that, let us know prisoner.

Comment

Well, didn't get to it (again) this weekend. Am waking up early this Saturday to get it done. Can't wait to get this car on the road, should be a great daily driver.
                            1992 3000GT VR4

Comment

Yeah it is buddy... the large port 3100 moves that car really nice. Wheel bearings are easy as fuck to change if needed, and the suspension isn't overly complex in design which allows for simple diagnosis and replacement of parts.
                              If you ask my opinion the car is awsome....

Comment

Working...
                              X