No announcement yet.

3.0 Vulcan VS 3100 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that's not really fair. I think most people who have a vulcan in their taurus/sable knows that it's not a sportscar and don't intend to modify it as such (doubt it's really even possible). The Duratec 30 though, as mentioned earlier, does pretty well. The engine itself weighs the same or less than the chevy 3.1 (all aluminum and DOHC) and makes 200-225 hp, 200 ft.lb. bone stock. I'm not really a Ford guy, but I have a sable with that in it and it pulls pretty damn good!
    Just makin sure we're comparing apples to apples!

Oh...and that same engine is in the Noble M400 supercar. Twin turbos, making around 425 hp with few modifications to keep it reliable!
    Last edited by RailHomie; 12-11-2007, 04:54 PM.

Comment

well if we move from push-rods to DOHC..

that 2.7 dohc moves a sebring decently, and of course the 3.5 dohc in the LHS... that thing is pretty nice... i drove an 05' Caddy CTS today with that 3.6 v6, i think it's a dohc motor... came like 4 times in my pants... and anyways, after having driven each of these cars today, I HATE mine... but, what can you do. pushrods are alright if you have huge valves, massive displacement, and perhaps stuff it.

at any rate, I like the 3.1, that slow bastard is easy and cheap to fix, easy to modify...etc

Comment

Originally posted by IanSzgatti View Post

that 2.7 dohc moves a sebring decently, and of course the 3.5 dohc in the LHS... that thing is pretty nice... i drove an 05' Caddy CTS today with that 3.6 v6, i think it's a dohc motor... came like 4 times in my pants... and anyways, after having driven each of these cars today, I HATE mine... but, what can you do. pushrods are alright if you have huge valves, massive displacement, and perhaps stuff it.

at any rate, I like the 3.1, that slow bastard is easy and cheap to fix, easy to modify...etc

Can't agree more

'94 Beretta Quad 4 Z26, 3500 swapped!
        '13 Charger 3.6 8spd

Comment

I am suprised that nobody just listed straight facts. All of this came from MSN AUTO's (they are not always right, but at least they are consistant).

1997 Grand Prix - 160 @ 5200 RPM 185 @ 4000 RPM BCW @ 3378 LBS
          1997 Taurus - 145 @ 5000 RPM 180 @ 3650 RPM BCW @ 3329 LBS

And just for Ben

1988 Grand Prix - 130 170 BCW @ 3132 LBS

Weight wise, the 1997 cars are close enough. The powerbands are also pretty close. But the power itself, there is where the grand prix would win. As for the 2.8, I don't think so. Maybe a 3.1 Grand Prix (light weight, but the extra 10 HP and 15 TQ would really help it.
          Taylor
          1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
          1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
          1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
          1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
          "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

Originally posted by IanSzgatti View Post

Go drive the new 3.6L with direct injection. 300+HP!!!
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
              Go drive the new 3.6L with direct injection. 300+HP!!!
              im lucky, i get the chance to drive lots of cars when they come from the auction for sale.. probably wouldnt see a newer car like that for a few years though.

Comment

Working...
              X