3.0 Vulcan VS 3100 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0 Vulcan VS 3100 GM

OK, stock showdown.. 3.0L Ford Vulcan v6 VS 3100 GM v6 both of model year 1997... thoughts? specs?

Mom has a 97 vulcan. The thing is 20hp and 20tq less than my 3100 IIRC. Also it gets HORRIBLE mpg (taurus- hers does). Super tiny TB, non-equal length intake manifold. But supposedly they run forever. I drove it and I'm used to putting the throttle down a little bit and holding it and the car accelerating pretty quick (my car) but in the taurus it just crawled like a turtle and I had to mash the gas to get out of the way of traffic. heheh.
    Last edited by IsaacHayes; 12-01-2007, 09:08 PM.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

3100 wins
      3.0 vulcan looses

ok, theres got to be something different about the transmissions to that they use... (P.S. I have seen vulcans with over 400,000 kms)

Comment

Yeah I don't like the trans. 96 has problems and the 97 mom has seems to show symptoms of what the 96 does. Slams into gear randomly, slips, responds slow (slower than my 4t60-e lol). Just acts strange.
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

3100 over 3.0

i have both
          1994 Chevy Corsica. Parted out. Just a rotting shell now
          Best 1/4mile ET - 12.9
          Best 1/4mile MPH - 111
          1997 Ford Ranger Splash
          Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by loner666 View Post
            3100 over 3.0

i have both
            3100 wins again

Comment

You know I never hear about the VW 2.8 24v vs 60v6 but you know that is a loaded question.

Comment

Originally posted by crytical point View Post
                You know I never hear about the VW 2.8 24v vs 60v6 but you know that is a loaded question.
                i think compared to either of these engines it's bound to perform better... so i wouldnt have thought to add that to the equation.

Comment

Vulcan is a pushrod so it's more fair to compare with a 3100. DOHC engines are different animals with different characteristics.
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

The 3.0 toreass is a slow mofo. Id throw it against a 2.8 grand prix auto.
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Vulcan is reliable but harsh. it will last forever damn near but has horrible power. 140 measly hp........pathetic really. And to think that they used that damn engine for so many years. The Duratec 3.0 is a different story. I'd put one of those up against a 3.4 LQ1 Grand Prix any day of the week and bet the Taurus so equipped would win.

Comment

The later year vulcans did get better intake manifolds though.
                        Original L82 Longblock
                        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                          Yeah I don't like the trans. 96 has problems and the 97 mom has seems to show symptoms of what the 96 does. Slams into gear randomly, slips, responds slow (slower than my 4t60-e lol). Just acts strange.
                          I couldn't agree with you more. I can tell you first hand that those tranny's don't last. My 96 Windstar uses the same tranny. Granted the Windstar is probably alot heavier and it has alot more power, but it just ate through it's third tranny in under 110,000 miles. I post on the automotive forums also and it's swamped with post after post about these transmissions dying with the same symptoms as Isaac described. All three of my transmissions also started showing these symptoms before they died. If you're considering buying a used Ford, I would make sure it doesn't use the AXODE (AX4S) Transaxle.

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                            The 3.0 toreass is a slow mofo. Id throw it against a 2.8 grand prix auto.

Yeah but you know it's a peach
                            Lorenzo
                            '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                            '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

I walked all over a 94 Taurus with that motor awhile back, when i had my 89 Beretta Base 2.8 Auto I put like 5-8 carlengths quick, by say 60mph...

Them guys were like WTF, they thought their car was FAST. I now my Beretta wasn't the fastest, but atleast it's not the slowest.

I'd like to race them again in my G6 GTP 3900 6spd, but then again it will not be fair.
                              G6 GTP 3900 6spd Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X