Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling 3.4 from F-body in salvage yard

Hi there!

I've found two 4th gen F-body cars in a local salvage yard, and the price is right on the 3.4V6 engines they've got. The cars are sitting on old rims and are stable, so access to both the top and underside is pretty good.

The yard will loan me a hoist but will not pull the engine for me. I'm not allowed to use a torch, either. Dad and a friend will help, so at least we have up to three people wrestling with this if necessary. If nothing else, I can wrench and they can swear for me

Any tips on pulling the engine out? Unfortunately I won't have access to electricity (no generator) or compressed air, so this is a hand-tools-only job. I've had V6/60 engines out before (S-10s), but I've never pulled an engine from a 4th gen F-body.

Thanks!
    1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
    2006 Pontiac Solstice

You're going to want to tip the engine back to get to the two top bell housing bolts, or pull the engine and tranny together. Some people have made holes on the hump inside the car to get to them if you have a way to cut (hole saw on cordless maybe).
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

IIRC the easiest way on those is to drop the engine out the bottom... or atleast that's what the V8 guys do.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
        IIRC the easiest way on those is to drop the engine out the bottom... or atleast that's what the V8 guys do.
        Those kind of yards stack rims and weld them together, then weld the rims on the hubs to the stack. The car would have to be supported somehow to get the k member off. Most of the 3800 guys I talk to pull the engine and tranny together because of those infamous top bell housing bolts (3800's use the small corp 60* pattern).

I could definately see why the v8's would go out the bottom in a 4th gen.
        Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 10-15-2007, 07:59 AM.
        Links:
        WOT-Tech.com
        FaceBook
        Instagram

Comment

Working...
        X