Flexplate counter sunk holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexplate counter sunk holes

I still haven't got my 3.1 in my S10 Blazer. I'm real close now though. My question is: I got a flexplate that had the balance weight on it and I removed it. However there a 4 or 5 countersunk holes that don't go all the way through that must've been used for balancing. Is this something that needs to addressed? Filled with weld and ground smooth or are they OK like that?
    '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

I've had a few flexplates with holes in in them not drilled all the way. I'm sure its just for balancing the flexplate only.
    Lorenzo
    '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
    '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

I was wondering if just knocking off the weight would make it a neutral balance I know they sell them "w/weight" and "w/o weight". '88 up w/o. Thought I'd save $40 by knocking the weight off but when I noticed those holes I didn't feel like rolling the dice.
      '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

After the excess weight is removed you MUST take the flywheel into a shop for proper balancing. It must be made true neutral balance or you will have vibration and most likely ruin a rear main bearing.
        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

That's what I thought, so I bought a new one for an '88 2.8 no weight. Costs less that balancing the old I imagine. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
          X