No announcement yet.

Exhaust Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I wouldn't buy from there, it's $60 other places.
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

My high flow cat was $200!.... 2.5" stainless steel, and it flows like 200cfm/cell or something crazy like that and even with that my exhaust is a little raspy.

I just bout a resonator so hopefully that will workout for me.. if it does you might be able to get away with just using that
      sigpic
      1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
      3400/Getrag 284 5spd
      1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
      350/NV3500 5spd
      2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

What kind of resonator did you buy? I keep wanting to buy the vibrant performance one... but I am afraid if I get the "ultra quiet" one then it will TOO quiet. Yet I am afraid any standard "bottle type" resonator won't be enough.

I wish I could get the sound I have at idle all of the time.
        SpudFiles
        Theopia
        Enjoy life online.

3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

Originally posted by PCGUY112887 View Post
          Amen to that.

Comment

Originally posted by PCGUY112887 View Post
            What kind of resonator did you buy? I keep wanting to buy the vibrant performance one... but I am afraid if I get the "ultra quiet" one then it will TOO quiet. Yet I am afraid any standard "bottle type" resonator won't be enough.

The resonator I bought was from Vibrant Performance. Heres the link:

Thats the exact one I bought. If I read things correctly, you have dual mufflers right? If so, the ultra-quiet resonators were designed for straight pipe systems. You should be fine with just the a "normal" resonator here.
            sigpic
            3400/Getrag 284 5spd
            350/NV3500 5spd
            2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

Well let me know how that works out for ya. I was leaning towards the ultra quiet one due to the fact I have no cat, and I don't want to put one in!
              SpudFiles
              Theopia
              Enjoy life online.

Comment

Even with the cat that I have, its still raspy as all hell. I should be getting it this week and putting it on so Ill let ya know!
                sigpic
                3400/Getrag 284 5spd
                350/NV3500 5spd
                2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

I'm late getting into this thread, but I've got plenty of rasp above 3k rpm.

S&S Headers, Hi flow cat, SLP Catback
                  Rev to over 3k

Sissy rev

Comment

Yeah, LOTS of rasp there. I'm telling ya, if you want to eliminate that rasp, the only way to do it is to get rid of those mufflers. A 60v6 sounds the same rasp wise no matter what way you cut it. It's the fact it's a transverse mounted engine and the routing of the exhaust manifolds. My Taurus sounded exactly the same way and all I did was remove the resonator. With the resonator, it was not much louder than stock. Point is, Magnaflows in the right size do NOT have rasp to them. Same mods to the Taurus, except mufflers......swapped to 4x9x14 Magnaflows, no rasp and not too loud, just right. As a matter off fact, my Malibu had a Flowmaster 40 Series and it had rasp out the wazoo with the factory resonator on. I tossed it for a Magnaflow as well and it was too quiet, tossed the resonator and perfect sound and guess what......no rasp! I posted a video of my car. If you have god pc speakers or headphones, you can plainly hear that it's plenty loud and carries no rasp....at any rpm.

Comment

Mufflers have very little to do to control rasp. I dont wanna be an ass but you gotta be like a salesman or something for magnaflow right?! Controlling rasp is about what kind of cat and resonator you have. Also about what size piping your exhaust is. The smaller it is, the less chance of it rasping cause its always under pressure. The larger exhaust will rasp because there isnt enough volume of gas to fill the pipes.
                      sigpic
                      3400/Getrag 284 5spd
                      350/NV3500 5spd
                      2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

Originally posted by 19Cutlass94 View Post
                        Mufflers have very little to do to control rasp. I dont wanna be an ass but you gotta be like a salesman or something for magnaflow right?! Controlling rasp is about what kind of cat and resonator you have. Also about what size piping your exhaust is. The smaller it is, the less chance of it rasping cause its always under pressure. The larger exhaust will rasp because there isnt enough volume of gas to fill the pipes.
                        No, I am not a "salesman" for Magnaflow or anything of the sort. I have Aerochambers on my Cutlass and I love them. I have had Flowmaster 40's, Super 40's Deltaflow 40's and Super 44's and they all sound like butt on V6 EXCEPT the Deltaflow 40's I had on my first Taurus. I kept the resonator on it and I was happy with the sound it made. I was going to go with Magnaflow on that car but I found a pair of the Deltaflow 40's for $40 for the pair. Exact size I needed too. Couldn't pass that up. I am just speaking of my own personal experiences with fwd V6 exhaust and so far, I've used Flowmaster, Magnaflow and Aerochambers. My second Taurus had the Aerochambers first and it had 4 cats plus the resonator. it was too quiet. Could hardly hear it. Even my wife said so. So, I lopped off the resonator and what a horrible mistake that was. Terrible rasp all over the place. It sounded as bad as those damn import fart can mufflers I hate to hear so much. That's why I swapped to Magnaflows......just to see how they would work/sound. They did the trick perfectly. No drone/rasp and not too loud. Same for my Malibu. I put a Magnaflow on it just because I already knew what my Taurus sounded like and it did the exact same thing. It had a Flowmaster 40 series on it when I bought it and that's all that was done to it. It rasped/droned like hell. So I loped it of and stuck a 5x8x14 Magnaflow in it's place. It was too quiet. Loped off the resonator and guess what?? Perfect sound now. If there is another brand of muffler out there that doesn't rasp on a fwd V6, I'm all for it. The only other muffler that I think would be about as good to eliminate rasp as Magnaflow would be a Dynomax Superturbo. I'm an exhaust fabricator/installer by trade so I know a thing or two about exhaust system design/theory. His car has NO cats and headers.......a cat will not eliminate the rasp with an Aerochamber. A resonator may or may not help.

Comment

So why is a magnaflow muffler so different from everything else?

I expected rasp and I'm not complaining about it. Hell, I bought catback that didn't come with a resonator.

Comment

98Malibu I think you just happen to have a streak of luck, I'm sorry but I'm 100% positive that rasp would be the same or worse if I put on some magnaflow mufflers in place of my aerochambers. Also you can't just say "that muffler is bad on a V6", there are so many differences in engines that make different sounds that an assumption like that could never be made.

Heck I have headers and a cam, which automatically makes it sound much different than a stock 3100/3400.

I expected some rasp, but wasn't sure how much so I skipped the resonator. If the resonator can clear up the rasp on 19cutlass's car, then I will use one as well.
                            SpudFiles
                            Theopia
                            Enjoy life online.

Comment

And just pipe size, length, and routing will change tone... I'm sure your dual 2.5" isn't helping.
                              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                              Original L82 Longblock
                              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Tips will also affect the sound as well as the raspiness.

I have 2.5" crush-bent all the way back, with a Car Sound cat and a single-in dual-out Flowmaster 50 series, and just 2" (??) piping angle cut for tip and I have no raspiness to the exhaust tone. So I do not believe that all Flowmasters are raspy on V6s.
                                -Brad-
                                89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                                sigpic
                                Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Working...
                                X