Exhaust Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Tone

I have 2.5" from my headers back to 2 2.5" Hooker Aerochambers on my cammed 3500.

It sounds great, really great, below 3k RPM's. After that rasp goes nuts. I have no cat and no resonator.

Think a resonator would kill the rasp? Should I shop for an actual resonator, or just maybe stick a glasspack in somewhere?

What should I look for that won't restrict flow?
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Originally posted by PCGUY112887 View Post
    I have 2.5" from my headers back to 2 2.5" Hooker Aerochambers on my cammed 3500.

It sounds great, really great, below 3k RPM's. After that rasp goes nuts. I have no cat and no resonator.

Think a resonator would kill the rasp? Should I shop for an actual resonator, or just maybe stick a glasspack in somewhere?

What should I look for that won't restrict flow?
    I TOLD you!!!! LMAO....no really, I knew it was going to rasp out the yazzooo.....I suffered the same exact fate on my Taurus. A resonator will help but won't eliminate the rasp. You need Magnaflows my friend....no rasp/drone and just a deep/powerful sound.

Comment

what do the magnaflows do to prevent the rasp? Do they create more backpressure?

Comment

The magnaflows would rasp too, the taurus is a totally different engine...

I respect your advice but I can't help but think you have some magnaflow fanboy comming out. The only magnaflow system I have heard on another car (V6 camaro) sounded good, but it still would rasp at higher RPM's. Friends Borla that is supposed to be "the best" on his Camaro rasps as well.

I can't think of any muffler alone that will stop all rasp on a 60 degree engine. Don't forget I have nothing else to baffle flow, not even a cat. GM had to put a super restrictive resonator on it stock just to stop some rasp, it would still rasp at high RPM's.
        SpudFiles
        Theopia
        Enjoy life online.

3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

I have no rasp, and no resonator. It was actually raspier with the resonator. The stock resonator is just an open tube, with a flat washer at the end. Terrible for flow.

Maybe mine has less rasp because I have Z26 tips on there, which kind of have the same thing, a flat washer after each one opens up.

Or maybe it's cause I have a cat on there. That probably is it more than anything else. Or both... lol
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

My tips are very free flowing...

SpudFiles
            Theopia
            Enjoy life online.

Comment

Originally posted by PCGUY112887 View Post
              The magnaflows would rasp too, the taurus is a totally different engine...

I respect your advice but I can't help but think you have some magnaflow fanboy comming out. The only magnaflow system I have heard on another car (V6 camaro) sounded good, but it still would rasp at higher RPM's. Friends Borla that is supposed to be "the best" on his Camaro rasps as well.

I can't think of any muffler alone that will stop all rasp on a 60 degree engine. Don't forget I have nothing else to baffle flow, not even a cat. GM had to put a super restrictive resonator on it stock just to stop some rasp, it would still rasp at high RPM's.
              Dude, I love Aerochambers, I have them on my Cutlass. They rasp out the wazzoo on a V6...period. The Taurus 3.0L DOHC V6 is also a 60deg V6 like ours is. It's very similar in layout as the 3400 DOHC. Same sound just a bit quieter due to it's smaller displacement. Borla also rasps because of the packing material used, stainless steel wool. I betcha if you swap out those Aerochambers for 4x9x14 or 5x8x14 Magnaflows in the same size/configuration, you'll love them. I need to get a better video of my Malibu w/the Magnaflow on it. I have no resonator either but do have a factory cat. If the Magnaflows are not an option, try at least a 18" long Magnapack. It's basically a big resonator that doesn't hamper flow at all.

Comment

I've heard magnaflows on a 3400 before and there was plenty of rasp...

I think it's caused by not having a cat more than anything. A resonator mostly reduces sound. Not alter it. But if you want to give it a try, get a dynomax bullet muffler to use as a resonator.
                1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Hummm.... well crap. My whole catless idea is now working against me.
                  SpudFiles
                  Theopia
                  Enjoy life online.

Comment

toss in a hi-flow cat. It should help out with that.

i don't think mine's "Raspy" more like "Fucking Loud"..

It does have a badass cackle if i let the RPM's drop between shifts.
                    Past Builds;
                    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                    Current Project;
                    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Dave do you have a cat?
                      Maybe I need to get someone else to listen to it...
                      SpudFiles
                      Theopia
                      Enjoy life online.

Comment

no cat.. just headers Y'd to 3" single.... then through 1 Hooker Aerochamber, Y'd to dual tips....
                        Past Builds;
                        Current Project;

Comment

If yours doesn't rasp then mine def shouldn't...

I will have to have someone else listen.
                          SpudFiles
                          Theopia
                          Enjoy life online.

Comment

our setups are ALOT different though... even the bends in the pipe can change the sound..

example:
                            a 3.1 Beretta GT and a 3.1 Cavalier Z24 sitting side by side.. same engine, same mufflers but different pipe bends.. the Beretta sounds quite a bit different...

I'll see if i can get a sound clip of mine this week, i'll have to find a place outside of town so i won't get the cops called on me..
                            Past Builds;
                            Current Project;

Comment

Humm...
                              What about a long glasspack as a resonator? If it gets a bit more quiet that is fine, but damn I gotta get rid of this noise over 3k! I looked for a real resonator on summit, but their all $$$

Maybe if I post a vid of a high RPM driveby?
                              SpudFiles
                              Theopia
                              Enjoy life online.

Comment

Working...
                              X