88 Jimmy engine swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 Jimmy engine swap

Thanks for the information on the engine diagram. I have located a donor for the Jimmy, it is from an S-10. Now my quesitons about the swap.

The s-10 2.8 has a oil filter that points to the rear of the engine. The Jimmy's points to the side. Does anyone know if the rear pointing will have a clearance issue?

The s-10 is 2X4 and the Jimmy is 4X4. Is there a difference in the oil pan? If so, will swapping the oil pans work? I believe that somewhere along the line, GM had two oil pan bolts that were accesable from inside the timing chain cover. The S-10 is a 1983, and the Jimmy a 1988. Additionally, is there a difference in the oil pickup tube and screen. I am assuming there is a difference, to clear the front drive axle.

Hate to pass up on the motor, was rebuilt before the owner totaled the truck. Besides, getting the motor for free.

The Jimmy has a dropped push rod on the rear piston. When looking at the the other head, three other rods had dropped and fixed before my 14 year old daughter and I tore down. Is this a common problem with these engines?

Wonderful site, and nice to have persons to chat with who know the engines. Much has changed since I rebuilt MG's and Shoebox Chevys. If this goes smoothly, maybe a future project of installing a 60 degree V6 in a MGB. Your site has certainly get me thinking engines again.

Stay away from an 83 motor if it is still the original 83 block. They are junk, small journal, 2 piece seal, and external balance. Your Jimmy is a large journal, 1 piece seal and internal balance.

The difference in oil filter location is just the bracket. It can be easily changed.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Use the oil filter adapter off the '88 that sticks straight out. Your oil pan won't work if the '83 was a 2WD. And the one off the '88 won't fit. There are other issues you'll run into. Oil pump tube size has to be the same as the '83 and for a 4WD. A 4WD pan off an '83 to '86 will need to be used. The serentine belt set-up off the '88 won't work either. You'll have to use the '83. The '88 turns backwards to the '83 due to the serpentine belt. The '88 has TBI and the '83 has a carb I assume. That means the '88 has a electric pump. I don't know, but you may have to get a pressure regulator as the electric pump may have too much pressure for the carb. There may be other issues too. If so, someone here will know.
      Last edited by Ray Hamilton; 07-29-2007, 06:58 PM.
      '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

Working...
      X