No announcement yet.

4t45e Torque Converter Not Staying Locked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OR if you start to get dicked around with the warranty process...

I can completely understand wanting to do it yourself but transmission issues are not easy to tackle especially if you've never been in one before.

Got Lope?
    3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
    Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
    Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
    12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
      OR if you start to get dicked around with the warranty process...

I can completely understand wanting to do it yourself but transmission issues are not easy to tackle especially if you've never been in one before.
      this and unless you have another vehicle to drive it would be a huge PITA to try and get it done quickly.
      sigpic
      99 Grand Am GT
      3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
      Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
      1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
      515 515 lift 112 lsa
      15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Yeah, it goes to the garage Monday, I'm rebuilding the 545RFE in my Jeep at the moment. I don't know much about FWD trannys. Although I did take apart my MAF and gave it a good cleaning with Q-Tips. It run's better and stays locked... Until I floor it. They it's like "F- you I'm not locking!"
        2003 Grand Am GT Ram Air
        -Magnaflow High Flow Cat
        -Flowmaster 80
        -Brembo Brakes

Comment

FYI with stock trans tables, the tcc will not lock when you go WOT.

Comment

I know, but after I pass someone the transmission will not lock up. The TC will stay unlocked for some time. Usually is locks back up the next time I drive it.
            2003 Grand Am GT Ram Air
            -Magnaflow High Flow Cat
            -Flowmaster 80
            -Brembo Brakes

Comment

Then you have alot more going on than you thought. Pull pan, change filter, add new fluid, can help alot. Check the magnet in the pan.

Comment

Yeah... It's going to the dealer Monday morning. I'll let them deal with it for free.
                2003 Grand Am GT Ram Air
                -Magnaflow High Flow Cat
                -Flowmaster 80
                -Brembo Brakes

Comment

A little update here, I brought it to the garage and they couldn't reproduce the problem. It hasn't done it since, it's normal now. I'm stumped but I'm going to change the fluid anyways. Although I did leave the garage with $500 bill, wheel bearing, tie rods, a bushing and an alignment.
                  2003 Grand Am GT Ram Air
                  -Magnaflow High Flow Cat
                  -Flowmaster 80
                  -Brembo Brakes

Comment

I would have told them not to touch anything else and replace it all yourself.

Got Lope?
                    12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Yeah but I don't particularly like working in the cold. The problem has reared it's ugly head again, intermittently. It will be fine and unlock for 5-10 miles and lock up and be ok. Need to changed the damn fluid...
                      2003 Grand Am GT Ram Air
                      -Magnaflow High Flow Cat
                      -Flowmaster 80
                      -Brembo Brakes

Comment

They poked you for $500 and didn't even bother changing the fluid/filter?
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                        Originally posted by Jay Leno
                        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                          They poked you for $500 and didn't even bother changing the fluid/filter?
                          doesn't even sound like they went anywhere near the trans. probably couldn't reproduce the problem so they went on to the other stuff.

should have just told them you would fix the stuff later. could have saved yourself a couple hundred. doesn't sound like they took you for a ride on the price. the wheel bearings run about $150 and the tie-rods are $50ish a piece. plus the alignment was prob $60-80.
                          sigpic
                          99 Grand Am GT
                          3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                          Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                          1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                          515 515 lift 112 lsa
                          15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Yeah, I have a warranty on the parts at least. I told them they needed to drive it longer than eleventeen seconds. It's not throwing any codes and they couldn't reproduce the problem so they're not touching it.
                            2003 Grand Am GT Ram Air
                            -Magnaflow High Flow Cat
                            -Flowmaster 80
                            -Brembo Brakes

Comment

Typical shop replies... unfortunately

Got Lope?

Comment

Yeah, it's almost out of warranty so I think they're giving me the run around to be honest. F- it. It hasn't done it in days so I believe a good fluid change and TC drain will do the trick. If not I'll replace the MFer.
                                2003 Grand Am GT Ram Air
                                -Magnaflow High Flow Cat
                                -Flowmaster 80
                                -Brembo Brakes

Comment

Working...
                                X