AWD Celebrity Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : AWD Celebrity Wagon

OK, this is just another one of my stupid ideas that I'm throwing around....Has anyone ever thought about doing an AWD swap on their FWD 60 degree powered cars? I was day dreaming last week about doing a conversion on my 1990 Chevy Celebrity Eurosport and I was honestly thinking about taking the transaxle out of an AWD Pontiac Aztek. Would that be possible to do? Has anyone driven an AWD Aztek, and I don't know if it'll need custom fabrication to make it fit

it could work I guess, would not be easy or cheap. I couldnt picture anything just bolting up but you never know.
    sigpic
    88 Beretta CL- 13.641@102.76mph (rwd LS1/t56 conversion in progress)

77 Celica GT- 3400/3500 swap in progress (engine from the beretta)

Comment

Yea but my plan is to get a parts car (Aztek) then drop it in and figure out if i need to weld in new mounts, but theoretically it should work, it bolts to the 3.1 the only issue is the rear axle and driveshaft i think

Comment

I do know how to weld and everything, so that'll save big $$$

Comment

It might be easier to just start with an AWD drive car to begin with. Like the late 80's Pontiac 6000 STE AWD. The early ones came with 2.8's and later on 3.1s. It's something I would like to get a hold of, but they dont seem to be very common.
          94' Z24 3.1 5M
          82' T/A 5.0 3A

Comment

The Versatrak system used in the Aztek was not the best out there, and also there are no known upgrades for it so the odds of it lasting in performance application is slim.

Got Lope?
            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I've heard the STE's System won't last up to the abuse....I just want to run atleast 300hp to make the rice boys in my neighborhood shit themselves. The car has sentimental value to me, but I can't leave it like any normal car out there, I'm keeping it looking original, like a regular wagon, the ultimate sleeper Click image for larger version

Name:	Celebrity front shot.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	376470

Comment

i'm at that point in my beretta, only problem is the verstraks down fall is the rear diff, if you could replace the diff with a 3.33:1 ratio(which is what it is) or lock up and eliminate the disk's/clutchs and make it a plain and simple diff, it would work. Otherwise, you would need something else for a transmission or and drivetrain. and then you need to make an adaptor plate, and flex plate spacer, and get a controller for the other trans. kinda sucks the only hold back is the rear diff,

What kills the transfer unit is having excessive wheel spin, then the rear diff locking up, puts to much load on everything, and doesnt split up the wheel speed (no center differential, the rear is driven buy a PTO, and the rear driveshaft is always spinning till the verstrak is engaged electronically, and that kills the transfer unit)
                What kills the diff is the verstrak fluid wears out because its a no petrolium based oil (kinda like vegtable oil) and its 50$ 500/ML, and needs to be changed every 15,000km, and takes 2500 ML approx.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Thing is, I would convert it to RWD if I didn't have to cut the crap out of the Floor, I'd drop in a 3800 Series 2 with a 5 speed manual transmission out of a Camaro.....But is there any other Transaxle that would match up to the 60 degree V6?

Comment

You wouldn't have to cut the crap out of the floor if you're using a 3800/T5 setup. I'll link you to my cardomain page so you can see that's exactly what I used on my 87 Shelby Charger. I also used the rear suspension from an AWD Pont 6000STE. You'll need to make the strut towers in back, not that hard if you have the skill to cut the tunnel. Since you're using the small GM metric bellhousing you don't have to cut it that much, and if you use the independent rear suspension the driveshaft can run really close to the tunnel since it's in a fixed position. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/333013...-dodge-charger. Although notice how I did the rack and pinion because it will most likely have to sit in a similar position right underneath the middle of the oil pan. It's notched for the rack and has a tube to get oil from the front of the pan to the back. You won't be able to keep your original rear steer rack setup because it just will not sit low enough to clear the bell housing of the tranny which is about where it would be in relation to turning the motor and having the T5 in it. Any questions feel free to ask. Believe me the L67/T5 is a blast in that 2500lb. car. Yes that's not the diff that came with the suspension, that's from a Thunderbird SuperCoupe Ford 8.8 IRS differential with 3.55 gears. The other IRS setup I had thought about was from a Lincoln LS if you could get it with a limited slip diff. That would probably be about the right width too for you, and wouldn't require you to fabricate strut towers, just figure out how to get the whole suspension assembly mounted to the car.

Comment

hmm....I dunno, you got me thinking now..maybe I should get my hands on another A-body so I don't screw up this one, this car has alot of sentimental value to me and I don't want to lose it

Comment

Something to practice on would make the final and permanent product look better. Also you could see what kind of issues you will run into before you go cutting into the sentimental car.
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                        Originally posted by Jay Leno
                        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Yea, I was kind of thinking that but thanks for agreeing with me so i didn't feel as though i'm an idiot for thinking that way...But I figure step one is to draw everything out to scale, take the dimensions of the car, the engine bay, the engine/tranny (by the way I'm gonna go with a turbo 3400SFI), and the driveshaft/rear axle. I'm planning to use a early 90's Camaro for most of the drivetrain and the computer, use 2 Garrett turbochargers (one small turbo for low rpms with a wastegate that opens for the large turbo so there's no lag). I'll possibly have to move the gas tank or modify it so it isn't too close to the rear diff. and change the exhaust system. Any suggestions on suspension systems? I want everything to look stock except the ride height and few minor things

Comment

No problemo You know what they say about doing anything like this, right? Measure twice, cut once. It would really suck to go start cutting into what you think is sheet metal and find out you are hacking into frame rail on the planned finished car...

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                            Originally posted by Jay Leno
                            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Yeah, then more headaches and stress....Might as well do it right the first time and work smarter not harder...I'm just a 17 year old kid who just has these stupid ideas But luckily i have the basic knowledge and skills. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. I might ask you questions about your Lumina because I'm looking into ideas for my '90 Grand Prix Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X