Heres what you need for a 3x00 and TKO swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heres what you need for a 3x00 and TKO swap

I have been asked quite a few times how I managed to swap a FWD 3x00 and TKO into my 4th gen camaro. Heres a brief write-up for anyone who wants to use a tko behind an aluminum-head 60* motor in a F-body RWD configuration.

To do the swap, you will need..
    A third gen f-body, t-5 style, 2.8l bellhousing...
    A fiero/s-10 2.8l flywheel...
    A FWD 3100 mini-starter..
    A 93-95 F-body t-5 rubber transmission mount...
    A 95 3.4l camaro (26 tooth) clutch and pressure-plate. (If your building an engine with enough output to need a TKO, then you have the option of buying a "Spec Clutch" good for 500lbs or more ft/lbs of torque)
    Youll also need Custom headers
    Custom shifter
    Custom drive-shaft
    (And of course...) custom engine mounts

The GM version of the TKO uses similar a input-shaft as is used in the 92 and up GM T-5 trannies. Its a plug-and-play operation. The biggest problems that youll encounter is the need for custom headers since the starter will now be on the opposite side, and a modified transmission mount since the TKO tranny mount is moved forward
    on the crossmember. Youll alsom have to slightly modifiy the shifter hole in the trans tunnel a bit to get the shifter handle to fit through. You will also have to build a custom shifter handle as well.

Also, the clutch fork will need to be adjusted outwards since the 2.8l flywheel sits further away from the trans than the the thicker flywheel of the 3.4l by about 1/2 an inch or so.

This is what is neccesary to put the TKO in a 3rd or 4th gen F-body. This bellhousing may not work in other vehicles since the F-body trans mounting is tilted 15 degrees. Youd have to use a different bellhousing to get the trans to mount straight up (meaning without the 15 degree tilt).

Otherwise the rest of the combination (flywheel, clutch and started) would be good for any vehicle that you wanted to stick a built 3x00 and a TKO in.

Please read over and update me on any info that I may have missed. I hope that this helps.
    Took a break from working on the car. Got some better tools, got a better shop, got a better job... Its time to burn metal!

Originally posted by Driver_10 View Post
    I have been asked quite a few times how I managed to swap a FWD 3x00 and TKO into my 4th gen camaro. Heres a brief write-up for anyone who wants to use a tko behind an aluminum-head 60* motor in a F-body RWD configuration.

To do the swap, you will need..
    A third gen f-body, t-5 style, 2.8l bellhousing...
    A fiero/s-10 2.8l flywheel...
    A FWD 3100 mini-starter..
    A 93-95 F-body t-5 rubber transmission mount...
    A 95 3.4l camaro (26 tooth) clutch and pressure-plate. (If your building an engine with enough output to need a TKO, then you have the option of buying a "Spec Clutch" good for 500lbs or more ft/lbs of torque)
    Youll also need Custom headers
    Custom shifter
    Custom drive-shaft
    (And of course...) custom engine mounts

The GM version of the TKO uses similar a input-shaft as is used in the 92 and up GM T-5 trannies. Its a plug-and-play operation. The biggest problems that youll encounter is the need for custom headers since the starter will now be on the opposite side, and a modified transmission mount since the TKO tranny mount is moved forward
    on the crossmember. Youll alsom have to slightly modifiy the shifter hole in the trans tunnel a bit to get the shifter handle to fit through. You will also have to build a custom shifter handle as well.

Also, the clutch fork will need to be adjusted outwards since the 2.8l flywheel sits further away from the trans than the the thicker flywheel of the 3.4l by about 1/2 an inch or so.

This is what is neccesary to put the TKO in a 3rd or 4th gen F-body. This bellhousing may not work in other vehicles since the F-body trans mounting is tilted 15 degrees. Youd have to use a different bellhousing to get the trans to mount straight up (meaning without the 15 degree tilt).

Otherwise the rest of the combination (flywheel, clutch and started) would be good for any vehicle that you wanted to stick a built 3x00 and a TKO in.

Please read over and update me on any info that I may have missed. I hope that this helps.

I have a 88 z24 and im grafting in the drivetrain of a 95 camaro 3.4 sfi with a t5. I have been trying to figure out specifically what is required to use the gen3 motor with the starter on the wrong side. I was contemplating machining the block to accept a ear extension for the starter however i read this and now wonder if there are other options. Do i need to use the tko trans to retain starter position? It seems the starter would be a mile away from the clutch fork if the bellhousing had a notch cut into it. Im really trying to avoid using the rwd block at this stage, could you provide some insight?

Comment

Originally posted by Weston19 View Post
      I have a 88 z24 and im grafting in the drivetrain of a 95 camaro 3.4 sfi with a t5. I have been trying to figure out specifically what is required to use the gen3 motor with the starter on the wrong side. I was contemplating machining the block to accept a ear extension for the starter however i read this and now wonder if there are other options. Do i need to use the tko trans to retain starter position? It seems the starter would be a mile away from the clutch fork if the bellhousing had a notch cut into it. Im really trying to avoid using the rwd block at this stage, could you provide some insight?
      The 4l60 non-e trans will fit the starter on either side, the t5 is available with the pocket on either side.
      Links:
      WOT-Tech.com
      FaceBook
      Instagram

Comment

Working...
      X