Limited Slip Diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited Slip Diff

Will a 2002 limited slip, 28 spline, work in a '89 S10 p/u with the 4.3? It's a 7.5 but I was wondering if the bearings (side) are the same size.
    '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

I compared some Auburn gear numbers and they're the same. I bought the one described on e-bay for $81.00!!!!!! 28,000 miles on it.
    '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

did you buy an oem style limited slip or the auburn??? if its the factory style, dont put it in. the have a locker built in them. basicly what happens is when the clutches start wearing it allows one tire to flash and tries to lock in the other tire and it end up blowing the carrier to peices. if i had a nickle for every time ive rebuilt a gm diff because of that....

Comment

It's an OEM out of an S10. I was under the impression that the lockers were the "gov-locks" found in larger 30 spline trucks. I'm not going to do any racing or off-roading with it. Just something that will keep me from getting stuck all the time in my '89 S10 long bed. Thanks for the response.

Comment

many of the smaller s10 trucks used the locker setup like the full sized trucks. many people call them a coo coo clock diff, as they have as many moving parts as a clock. they dont usualy blow up from racing. generally what happens is the clutches get worn down and start slipping too much, and when the vehicle gets stuck in the snow or mud/offroad and the driver steps hard on the throttle one tire spins up quick (because the posi itself is worn out), then the locker hammers in and blows the carrier up.

im pretty sure you can take all the peices for the locker out, and this would turn it into an ordinary limited slip. it would be a lot better for overall longevity

Comment

I have always heard them called scatter masters, you can usually blow them up a warmed up motor what ever the condition of the diff. We blew up several in T.B.I. trucks with nothing more than a cat back, throtle body spacer, and hypertech chip thats with stock size tires.
            I would just go with the powertrax locker. You can install with out having the gears reset. They are MUCH stronger than the factory posi/locker and they're very expensive
            68 El camino 454 speed muncie 3.90 posi 12 bolt,
            80 Monza Spyder nasty buick 231/3.8l v6 200-4R 3.73 posi.
            60 Impala 2 door hardtop L79-327 T56 4.11 posi.
            83 wagoneer torque pig AMC 360 hydradrive (gm turbo 400 with stock sb chrysler bellhousing boltpattern) dana 20 transfer case dana 60 front GM 14 bolt rear. 401 in the wokrs
            91 Z34 now has a hm284. and belly pan in the works

Comment

I put a Lockright in an old jeep I had and when you turned it was very jerky. It was OK in the jeep because I didn't drive on road very much. I have read that the new powertrax units aren't so jerky.

I already bought the limited slip so thats it. How would you take the "locker" pieces out? Is there any way to tell when the clutch's are wearing for preventative maintenance?

Oh, by the way, I got it for $81. I also bought a high performance Auburn limited slip for $148. GM unit to go in the '89 p/u and the Auburn in my 3.2 '86 Blazer.
              Last edited by Ray Hamilton; 01-25-2008, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkey View Post
                many of the smaller s10 trucks used the locker setup like the full sized trucks. many people call them a coo coo clock diff, as they have as many moving parts as a clock. they dont usualy blow up from racing. generally what happens is the clutches get worn down and start slipping too much, and when the vehicle gets stuck in the snow or mud/offroad and the driver steps hard on the throttle one tire spins up quick (because the posi itself is worn out), then the locker hammers in and blows the carrier up.

im pretty sure you can take all the peices for the locker out, and this would turn it into an ordinary limited slip. it would be a lot better for overall longevity
                I completely agree with you. It is a common situation. But in no way do I blame the Gov Lock. It is 100% the drivers fault. They need to be aware of what they are driving. If you are conscious of the Gov Lock and wait until the locker kicks in you will have thousands upon thousands of miles of limited slip and locking fun. Just knowing it is there and using it properly, which means controlling your right foot, will go a long way it keeping the unit from killing itself. My bro has one in his ZR2 and he uses it a lot offraod he just gets on the trail and once a tire gets loose he keeps the throttle low waits a few revolutions until it catches and away he goes. The locker will stay locked for quite some time afterwards and then you can hammer on it.

On an all street truck the Gov Lock works well but I think a traditional limited slip or Torsen works a bit better...

Back to the original question. Yes a late model unit will work. But late model S-10's came with 2 axles. The 8 1/2 and 7 5/8" rear end. They are completely different and require different carriers. But since you seem to have already figured out the spline count you know you have a 7 5/8" carrier which were all 28 spline. One last problem however. 89 was the beginning of the changeover. Your S-10 SHOULD have a 7 5/8" rear since the 4 bangers were usually left with the 26 spline 7 1/2" units. But the only way to be certain is to pull an axle. 28 splines on the axle shaft means you have a 7 5/8" carrier and the unit you bought will work.
                1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Randy's Ring and Pinion told me about the change in '89 and I could end up with 26 spline. I crossing my fingers. I didn't have time to pull an axle to be sure, ebay bid time running out. But if its wrong, I don't see any problem getting my money back on it. Or could the axles be changed to 28 spline? Are they the same length?
                  I was disappointed to learn that the Auburn is not repairable. I see they have an exchange program for $100. That's a good deal.
                  What I didn't find out was what the symptoms are before failure so I could get it out before detonation, on both units actually.

Comment

Yup the axles are a simple re and re. You just need to find a newer truck like a 92 and up. But it has to be the same drive is yours. 2WD 4WD and ZR2 are all different widths.
                    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I should have asked before purchase but sometimes a deal is to good to pass up.
                      I have gained a wealth of knowledge about my S10's on this forum. Such as my 2.8 to 3.1 upgrade. I'm very happy with it.
                      I have my eyes out looking for a 3.4 now.

Comment

Working...
                      X